THE RESCUE

Airi stood off to the side as Kuwabara single-handedly slayed every enemy that approached. The indescribable love he bore for Yukina appeared to supercharge his power. This will be trouble for Hiei, she thought amusedly.

"I'll go airborne and try to get a sneak peek," Botan said, oar materializing in her hand.

The boys nodded and proceeded to encourage each other as they prepared to head inside.

"I can't do much from here, but I think I'm starting to sense Yukina's presence. I believe there may be another way to reach her, if I go in alone."

The reason she suggested this was twofold: she could feel Yusuke's apprehension about her abilities (or lack thereof) in battle, and she knew the details of Hiei's plan. If she could figure out how to get into the complex herself, she'd be able to keep tabs on all of them while staying out of their way.

"Are you sure Airi?" Kuwabara asked.

He was worried about her. In truth, she was too. She forced a smile to ease his doubts.

"I'll be good, Kuwabara. If you need me, call out with your energy like we practiced, okay? Make sure the two of you stick together so I can find you."

He nodded. Yusuke placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it tightly. She did not envy his position – forced to put his underqualified friend in harm's way, just in case he needed her. They took off towards the mansion and vanished behind a wall of smoke and flame.

"Yusuke!" she screamed in horror.

By now she had learned. She immediately reached out for their spirit energies, their life forces. Somehow, they were unharmed. Here she was again, scared senseless with no path but onwards.

Airi recalled the mental map of the estate that she'd glimpsed in Hiei's thoughts. There should be a door, accessible through the garden, that would grant her entry to a side hallway. She crept back into the woods. If she stayed under their cover, she should be able to make it undetected. She brandished her psychic shield and felt herself disappear.

It was simple enough to navigate the edge of the property. She kept the high stone wall in her field of vision, scanning for adversaries. Hiei was close by. Better to not let him sense me. Getting in his way now could be dangerous.

******************************************************************************************

Hiei continued to watch the events unfolding inside. With his Jagan Eye activated he had the advantage. He could remain hidden, getting a sense of what lay ahead, until it was the perfect time for action. There would only be one chance to save Yukina. He could not afford any mistakes.

The circumstances were more complicated than he first perceived. There was a game afoot, the same one he had seen outlined in that office building. The fates of Yusuke and his friends were nothing but a betting opportunity. As soon as the exhibition was over, Tarukane would be moving on, and taking his sister away again.

From his perch, he sensed the girl creeping around the edge of the tree line. Her shield was strong, but his Jagan Eye was stronger. It was nearly time.

*******************************************************************************************

Airi steadied her nerves before running through the tall grass separating the woods from the garden. A wall of hedges, double her height, encased it. There was a small opening just to her left, a short gate. She peered over the top of the metalwork, tripping backwards when she saw the number of guards awaiting her. At least ten of them patrolled the gardens, each nastier looking than the last.