Chapter 13: A New Start

It has been eight months since Natsu was born, his early childhood was a pampered one, unlike his father's. His life was relatively well-balanced with a loving family and a nice home. It has been almost a year since Goku and Chichi had split up. Strangely, they haven't gotten a divorce yet. Bulma and Goku are still working on it with the file paper. There was only one thing they should know how Chichi was doing: she had given birth to a baby girl named Dusk. They congratulated her for having a daughter, but they wouldn't forgive her for what she had done.

Right now, Kagome went to go grocery shopping, buying some items of food for her family and herself. She brought Natsu with her as well, didn't want to leave him alone when his father went away training with his friends. She brought a list, looking for something that she could buy something. Just as she pushed a cart toward the section, she was approached by a certain brown-haired man whom she hadn't seen a long time ago.

"Kagome, long time no see!" It was Hojo who was happy to see her, waving at her hello.

She blinked in shock. "Hojo!? Holy crap! It's been a while since we last talked."

Hojo gazed upon Natsu who was sitting on the cart and then looked at her. He didn't see her wearing the wedding ring. He was surprised Kagome had a baby now, but he wondered what happened between her and Inuyasha. Was it a breakup? He must find out.

"I see that you already had a kid. Congratulations, Kagome," Hojo said, giving her a respectful smile.

"Thank you, Hojo," Kagome replied, picking Natsu up from the cart.

"So you and Inuyasha are broken up?" Hojo asked, curiously.

She scoffed. "No! Inuyasha and I ain't dating! He is like a brother to me."

"I see. By the way, I want to know who's the father, but it's none of my business, anyway," Hojo said, smiling.

"It's a long story, Hojo. I was about to give my baby to my friends who wanted him, but it turned out they were splitting. Now I had my little boy to raise."

He widened his eyes. "Are you saying you were the surrogate mother before you could raise him?"

She nodded. "Yes."

"Oh, I see. What happened to the couple who attempted to take him?" Hojo asked.

"My friend's wife had used him for money while she was with another man. She also used me against my will. Now I had a son to raise while Goku was taking care of us." Kagome explained.

"I'm sorry to hear," Hojo said, he was feeling bad for her.

She smiled. "It's fine, Hojo. I'm guessing things had changed."

"I'm glad to hear that. Well, I must get going, Kagome. I have things to do. It was nice meeting you, Kagome." Hojo waved her goodbye.

"You, too," Kagome said, waving at him goodbye as well. Then she lifted Natsu's left arm and gave Hojo a wave goodbye.

When Hojo was gone, now it was time for Kagome to continue to collect the items for the food. She put Natsu back in the cart and pushed the cart towards another section.

***

After a while, Goku and Kagome were walking through a meadow with Natsu in a stroller as they headed their way to get some ice cream.

"It feels great to see spring again. I wish it would stay forever." Kagome said, thrilled.

"So am I, but it always changes through seasons," Goku replied.

They stopped where they found the ice cream stand, so they could buy two ice cream cones and a small bow of ice cream for Natsu. So just as they settled in for ice cream, they sat down on the porch and enjoyed eating the ice cream.

After eating ice cream, they continued to stroll through the woods when they came across some flowers. They then looked up and saw a mommy, a daddy, and a baby bird.

"These birds reminded us sometimes," Kagome said.

"I wonder why," Goku said, scratching the back of his head.

She blushed softly as she looked down. "Sometimes everyone thought we were married when we had Natsu together. Would be nice if we were a married couple?"

"Eh!?" His face went red as he looked at Kagome.

Kagome looked at him, confused. "Have I said something wrong?"

He shook his head. "No. It's something that you said."

Then she realized what she said as she looked away. Her face went red as well. "F-Forget it... I don't think it's the right time. I mean, I know we're still friends, but something else has changed inside me..."

"What do you mean?" Suddenly, Goku accidentally let go of the stroller as Natsu went storming down a hill.

"Wait... Where's Natsu?" As Kagome looked around, she saw Natsu storming down a hill. The two became panicked.

"Ahhhhh! There goes our son!" Kagome screamed, pointing at where Natsu was flying off.

"Gah! Let's get him!" Goku panicked.

"Quick! Do something!" She cried out. And so the two ran to catch up with their son. The stroller jumped over a ravine and headed toward the apple tree. The stroller crashed and broke, but Natsu smashed through it.

Goku immediately caught him. He checked Natsu to make sure he wasn't hurt. It turned out Natsu wasn't hurt. He sighed in relief.

"Natsu! Thank goodness you're okay!" Kagome cried out as she ran up to them. Goku gave Natsu to Kagome. Natsu ended up laughing, with no injuries.

"Wow. I didn't know Natsu would manage to cut through the tree. I wonder how he would do that." Goku said, shocked.

"You're right, but he got it from you because you're his dad," Kagome said. Then she started to laugh about it.

Goku began to laugh as well. "You're right. Even if he's still my son, he has my ability."

"We should go home taking care of him," Kagome suggested. She blushed softly as she looked at him after she laughed. Goku stared back at her as he blushed softly. Their eyes began to shine when it was almost like they were connected.

He nodded, looking away. "Yeah... We should."