Chapter 21

I made my way to the firing range, I was told that whoever will be training me would be waiting there. I couldn't lie, I was nervous about this whole thing. I only agreed so I could help my family out with our money problems. If it weren't for that, I would've declined as I had zero combat training.

I squinted my eyes, "Elliott...?" He turned to look at me, "You're my trainer?" I asked as I pointed my finger at him.

  "Me? Oh, no." He said as he crossed his arms over his chest, "I'm just h-here t-to watch."

  I looked behind him and my eyes landed on Anita who had been focused on aiming her sentinel.

  She stayed completely still, only breathing ever so slightly. It was quiet for a few moments before a loud gunshot went off and she had landed her shot right in the center of the target. She put the sniper back onto the rack before approaching me.

  Okay, if Bangalore of all people is my trainer, I might actually stand a chance in the arena

  "Alright, here's the deal. I'm going to teach you how to aim, shoot while moving and utilizing the environment around you as cover. You don't shoot unless I say so. Are we clear?" She told me.

  I knew she was a bit of a hard ass but god damn, can't I catch a break?

  I quickly nodded in response and she took a step back, smirking. "Good."

  She went back to the weapon rack and I followed close behind. She scanned the variety of weapons as she was in deep thought deciding on which one I should use.

  She then pointed at one, "Alright, Y/N. Go grab the R-301."

  I walked towards the rack and picked up the gun, it was much heavier than I had thought.

  "Now I want you to pick up the 2x optic right next to it."

  I attached the optic to the weapon then went to stand next to her.

  "Now aim down your sights and try your best to shoot the center of that target." Anita pointed at the dummy straight ahead from us.

  I closed one eye and held the gun up to line the sight to the center of the target. My hands were a bit shaky and it was difficult to aim. I held my breath and lined up my target. Once I lined them up, I squeezed the trigger.

  Anita looked ahead to see where my shot landed. "You didn't hit the bullseye but hey, at least you hit the target. Not bad, kid."

  We spent the next few hours trying out different weapons for different situations. On one hand, I felt my aim drastically improved. On the other, I learned a valuable lesson that I should never get my hands on a sniper, ever. Poor Elliott is lucky I couldn't aim with it. 

  "Alright, the last thing we're going to do today is 1v1." Anita said.

  "Won't I get hurt?" I asked, concerned.

  She shook her head, "1v1's in here work just like in the arena. We don't actually get hurt." She informed me.

  That relieved me a bit and I agreed to do the 1v1. I knew I'd likely lose but hey, it was worth a try.

  "Alright go pick out your loadout and grab a blue shield. I'll meet you over there." She said as she showed me where the 1v1 will take place.

  I went over to the weapons rack. I already knew which guns I wanted. Flatline and a peacekeeper were my best weapons so far. I had trouble controlling smg's and I already knew how it'd go if I tried my hand at a sniper. This was my best bet. I grabbed the guns and met up with Anita. We decided it'd be best we start at opposite sides.