Chapter 5

Friday

  Finally

  My favorite day of the week. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this job. I'd even go as far as to say this was the best job I've had. But it was such a long first week and I felt a bit sore, I wasn't used to this sort of activity.

  On my way to clock out, Wattson had approached me and informed me about some launch party happening later tonight on the plaza. It'd be a good opportunity to meet everyone else since I've only met three of them.  Basically, it's to celebrate the upcoming season and welcome the newest addition, Catalyst, to the team. I was definitely shocked to be invited since I had only been working here a week and I'm not even a legend.

  "Wait, really? You want me to go?"

  "Yes!" Wattson said excitedly, "To be honest, it was Octavio that told me to invite you."

  That warm feeling crept to my cheeks again and I turned away to hide the smile I couldn't hold back.

  "Something the matter, Y/N?" Wattson tilted her head in concern.

  I quickly turned back to look at her, "Oh no I'm fine. I'll be there."

  Over the week, Wattson and I got pretty close. I'd even consider her more of a friend than a boss at this point. She was easy to talk to and would always help out when I needed it. I appreciated her dearly.

  We exchanged small talk before I headed out the door, I needed to go home and get ready for the party. Then drive all the way back. Ugh. I wish I lived here like everyone else but I didn't have much of a choice. I needed to be there for my family.

____

  After I picked up my brothers from school, I arrived home and made my way to the fridge. I pulled it open and examined what was left to eat. Mom really needed to go grocery shopping. I saw some leftovers from last night and decided to heat that up for my brothers to eat.

  Once they were settled, I went up to my room to pick out something to wear. I went through my closet and settled on a dress I hardly got the chance to wear. It was a black dress that went down to my knees and was a bit poofy at the bottom. I laid it onto my bed and went to take a shower.

  I wrapped myself in a towel and went back to my room. Once changed, I brushed my hair and looked for shoes to match. Honestly, I didn't really have anything besides my work shoes and my converse I wore casually. I rarely went to events like these and shoes were expensive. I decided to wear my converse and headed downstairs.

  My mom was awake and getting ready for work when she saw me.

  "Aww Y/N you look beautiful!" She praised me excitedly. "Are you seeing someone?"

  I couldn't hide my smile. When she assumed that I couldn't help but think of a certain someone.

  "No mom, it's just a work party I'm going to."

  She gave me that 'I'm your mother and I know when you're bullshitting' look but she brushed it off and didn't interrogate me any further.

  I told her to have a good work night and then headed off to the party.

_____

  This is it, I think? I reread the text with the address Wattson had texted to me earlier.

  I approached the door before I was stopped by a man dressed in a suit and sunglasses. What is this, Men in Black?

  "Name?" He asked in that deep voice of his.

  "Uhh...Y/N/L/N." I replied.

  He looked through a clipboard he had in his hand and shook his head, "Not on the list."