Chapter 13

I woke up with the worst headache I could ever imagine. My body felt weak and tired, I could hardly sit up. Once I managed to get up, I made a mental promise to never drink ever again. I swear I do this every single time I have a bad hangover. Lifeline was honestly amazing, allowing me to crash on her couch last night. I looked over to the coffee table next to me and saw a glass of water with what looked to be painkillers. I took them with the water, hopefully it'll get rid of this headache.

  I felt my pockets and took out my phone, I had a message from Octane apologizing for asking me to try the stim. Yeah, I'm never doing that shit again. I also had one from Lifeline letting me know she had to leave early but she left me with some meds to take. The message that caught my eye was one from Wattson.

  Y/N, meet me in my office. It's urgent!

  This couldn't be good

  I found the bathroom and glared into the mirror. My hair was a mess and dark circles were formed around my eyes. I looked like complete shit. I used my fingers to try to comb out my hair and make it look decent. I then used the sink to splash cold water on my face and dab it dry with a towel. At least I don't look like a walking corpse anymore, I guess.

*
*
*

  When I finally arrived to Wattson's office, she was accompanied by a rather tall man in a suit. He was leaning against a desk with his arms crossed over his chest as he spoke to Wattson. When he noticed me, he moved his hands to his pockets which made him appear stand-offish. I glanced at Wattson who spoke up immediately.

  "Y/N this is the director of the Apex games, Jacob Young." She informed me.

  "Uh, hello." I awkwardly greeted with a slight wave. I approached him to shake his hand but he didn't seem too interested.

  "Ms. L/N please take a seat." He sat in his big leather chair as he gestured to the one across the desk.

  I remained quiet as I waited for him to speak up, I was confused as to what was going on.

  "It seems the database has been corrupted and the map has been trashed. Which means the next games will be delayed."

  "Okay...?" I replied, even more confused now with what this had to do with me.

  "Ms. L/N, it's a part of your job as maintenance to maintain these things and you were the last one seen in the area."

  My eyes widened as I realized what he was suggesting, "Sir, I had nothing to do with that!"

  "The evidence suggests otherwise."

  "Have you checked the security cameras?! The last time I was there I locked it up as usual before I left." I argued.

  "Ms. L/N, there is no footage after you left. You must've thought of everything, haven't you?" He shook his head in disappointment. He turned his monitor so I could see it, it was footage of me finishing up my work and then it cut off.

  My jaw dropped, someone was trying to frame me. I couldn't lose this job. It's the best thing that has happened to me in a long time and I was finally being paid enough to support myself and my family.

  I turned to Wattson with tears welled up in my eyes, "Natalie, you don't believe this. Do you?! I wouldn't do this. I swear!"

  She looked down, she seemed uncomfortable being put on the spot which I couldn't blame her. I was just hoping she could say something in my defense. She knew me better than this Young guy.

  "Mr. Young with all due respect I don't think Y/N did anything wrong. She's had no previous offenses and no motive to do something like this."

  "I can't have any loose ends. Fixing this is going to cost a lot of money and the footage suggests Ms. L/N is responsible." He adjusted the tie he wore before he continued. "My decision has been made. Y/N L/N, as of today you've been terminated from your position in working for the Apex Games."

  I was in complete shock, when Wattson texted me I assumed I'd need to perform emergency maintenance or something. I never saw this coming. I quietly left the office trying to keep myself from crying. I went into the employee locker room to grab my things before I left.

  As I angrily shoved my things into my bag, my phone buzzed. I had a text from an unknown number, it had a link to an article. As if my day couldn't get any worse.  It was a picture taken of Octavio and I at Elliott's party...dancing together.

  Who the hell took this?

  As I scrolled, there were more pictures of us. Talking, dancing and the one kiss we shared before I passed out. Further down the page was a comment section. I mentally prepared myself for what I was about to read.

  Is Octane dating her? Wow! He could do better

  Nooooo Wattson x Octane!!!

  She's kinda ugly lol

  Y'all are mean, it's his choice who he dates

  There were thousands of comments. A few people defended me but most of them were various insults commenting on the way I look. I felt tears form in my eyes and slammed my locker shut.

  The secretary greeted me with a sad smile as I made my way to the front desk to drop off my keys and the lanyard with my ID on it.

  "I'm sorry to see you go. I know you didn't do it." She told me.

  I smiled back at her before exiting the building and making my way to my car. As soon as I got strapped in, a realization hit me. The timing was all too convenient. First, I'm fired. Then the pictures of Octane and I leaked. I put and two together. Someone was trying to ruin my life.

  "That bitch!" I yelled to myself.

___________________________________
A/N: I warned y'all this one would be dramatic, I hope you enjoyed! Also thank you so much for over 300 reads, the support this story gets keeps me going. Until next time xoxo~