𝐌𝐀: (𝟎𝟎𝟏) 🥀🔪

AUTHORS POV

IRENE: "I have some good news for you, Yeji" Dr

IRENE: "I have some good news for you, Yeji" Dr. Bae Irene smiled radiantly, apparently enthusiastic for a reason unknown to Yeji.

It was unusual for her to call Yeji at half past six in the morning when all she needed was a dose of caffeine and nothing to do with the shit she had planned to tell Yeji.

Yeji was a little indecisive to ask her question.

YEJI: "What's the good news, doctor?"

Irene's good news was barely considered good these days.

The other day, nurse Giselle was going to receive good news and then they sent her to the children's wing and now she barely slept. The last time Yeji saw her, Giselle was a robot nurse in automatic mode.

Yeji shuddered.

The doctor's eyes wrinkled and Yeji already hated the following words that came out of her mouth.

IRENE: "Dr. Jisoo, as you already know, is still in Malaysia for the seminar, but she and I spoke this morning, and asked me to pass on this news to you since she will not be here for another week"

YEJI: "Please, no, don't tell me she assigned me to the children's wing"

Irene laughed and waved her hand as if Yeji had said the best joke in the world.

IRENE: "Of course not, Yeji. You are one of the most hardworking nurses we have, so we kept the best space we had for you. Dr. Jisoo is giving you a promotion. You will be transferred to the C wing: that of the mentally insane"

YEJI: "And?" press.

IRENE: "You will get an extra bonus every month, well-paid overtime, and also all your assignments will be covered," she said still working on that plastic smile.

This was too good to be true.

Miracles never happened in Yeji's case.

She pushed a plate of chocolate cookies towards Yeji.

IRENE: "My mother makes the best cookies. Take"

That's how bad it was.

She practically had to resort to bribing Yeji with delicious cookies.

When she tried to choose a third one, Irene removed the plate and placed it under her table.

That smile was disappearing.

IRENE: "You will be assigned to a single patient. You will have to do the usual, give him breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do your routine check-ups, make sure he takes his medicines on time, and help the doctor in charge"

IRENE: "He?" She asked. "How old is he?"

Irene inspected a blue manila file and flipped througH a few pages.