2. Tristan

A body was found in the subway early this morning and I was called to investigate with the forensics team on the crime scene.
I had to wake up at two a.m and still went through a full day of work despite having slept only four hours.

All I need right now is a well deserved smoke, after such an exhausting day trying to rebuild the last 24 hours of life of the victim's, and possibly some good sleep.
I just showered and wore my sweater's hood up to not get ill when I get out on the balcony and light up a cigarette.
I don't have the time to take a nice drag that I hear a sliding door open and on the balcony of the apartment on my right, comes a blond girl wearing coloured star pyjamas and drying her hair with a towel.
I'm guessing she's just showered too, the coincidence is almost funny.

I silently look at her, the light from the inside of the apartment shines on her and gives me clear visibility of her appearance.
I finally bring the cigarette up to my mouth and breathe in, my body relaxes immediately and all the tension vanishes.
The girl seems lost in her own thoughts and as she looks up at the sky, I do so too, admiring the coldness of that dark, rainy night.

I take another, deep drag and let my hand fall down to my side while puffing out the smoke in the air.
I feel tired, I'm always tired, I shouldn't feel like this at my age.
I glance to the right, noticing the blondie's eyes on me and a disgusted expression forming on her young and delicate face.

I can't help but find it amusing, she must have felt the smell of my cig and I kind of feel sorry, but that look she's giving me is making me want to annoy her a little more.
"You'll catch a cold if you stay out with your hair wet, kid..." I say gesturing to her darkened hair from the water it absorbed.
I bet she has gold, blond hair when it's dry and it would match perfectly her fair skin colour and the bright eyes.
"I'm twenty, I'm not a kid anymore."
I feel like she's giving me attitude, she looks like she's trying to prove herself to me and it's even funnier.

Where is this kid from? Why haven't I seen her before? Who knows for how long she's been living in the apartment next to mine.
"And thanks for the advice, but it's my own risk to take," she shrugs with a childish frown forming on her features and I chuckle at the sight.
I shake my head, suddenly all my worries are gone. She's so stubborn, it makes me want to mess with her.

I take my hood off and run a hand through my hair, it's still wet from the shower I took earlier and I observe her brows furrow in annoyance.
"Your hair is wet too, you should be careful." She points out while looking at me quite insistently.
I mirror the stare on her, using the chance to trace her body down and make out her shape through that baggy pyjama set she's wearing.
I meet her eyes again, they're blue, looking at me like I'm a jerk and I just made her day worse than it probably already has been.

I bring the cigarette between my lips before I keep smoking, just to see how much it bothers her.
"I know what I'm doing, kid. You shouldn't use my own advice on me, I'm older."
Her eyes darken, I'm not sure if it's because I kept calling her 'kid', or because I'm smoking and it goes all the way to her side, or maybe because I just made her feel inferior.
"Smoking kills," she adds giving me a judging once over and crossing her arms up to her chest. She is holding the towel in hand and her hair is being moved around slightly, by the breeze.

I laugh at her comment and smirk, nodding as I breathe in from my cig right before puffing the smoke out in her direction.
She waves her hand in front of her face and tries not to cough.
"It's my own risk to take." I tell her feeling proud of my response and she rolls her eyes, looking up at the sky to avoid looking at me.
"You know, it's bad to lie to those that have more experience than you in life..." I glance at her from the corner of my eye, seeing her turn to me and blink confused.

"What do you mean?" She asks and I lick my lips as I face her too.
"You are not twenty," I say sounding confident.
"I am twenty," she responds with the same confidence.
Why do I like this so much? I smile, I know it looks evil and she can see it but I love her expressions and reactions.
"Why are you lying?" I ask sounding serious and she sighs.
Am I tiring her, already?
"I turned twenty like two days ago, that's all I can say." Her answer sounds definite, like she doesn't want to keep talking about that matter and I nod.
"Fine, I'll believe you."

There's a ringtone coming from her apartment and I see her look back and step inside, closing the sliding door behind her and leaving me there with my disappointment.
I finish my cigarette, listening carefully in hopes to hear the blondie talk on the phone but it's only muffled sounds and I give up.
I would have liked to provoke her a little more but I guess that's it for tonight, so instead of freezing myself with the uncertainty of her coming back on her balcony, I go inside and head for my awaiting bed.

I pray that I'll get a full night of sleep and not have to wake up at the sudden ringing of my phone and the 'get up' messages from either Mr. Gale or Simone.