...16...

...16...

When my alarm went off, I wanted to throw it out of my window. I woke up feeling absolutely horrible. I drug myself up out of bed and went downstairs. I saw a note on the fridge that said mom had already left for work and I half thought about skipping school but then I remembered that the girls didn’t have another way to school. I went back upstairs and took a quick shower, skipping washing my hair and instead just pulled it into a messy ponytail.

By time I got back downstairs, Cassie and Lacey were already downstairs and eating a bowl of cereal. I skipped breakfast and just poured myself a glass of orange juice. When it was time to leave, I reluctantly grabbed my backpack and followed the girls out of the door. When I pulled into the parking lot, I dragged myself into the building.

I should have known that as bad as I was feeling, that my luck would be against me today. I wanted to just stay in my own little world and forget anything and everything if at all possible. Just as I was closing my locker and turned around, Jessica Larson was in my face.

    “I just came by to warn you to stay away from Clay Redden,” she warned.

    “Oh, I know what this is,” I laughed. “How cliche of you, Jessica,” I said and turned away from her.

    “I’m not finished with you,” she said, grabbing onto my ponytail and pulled, hard. I have had about enough of of so I threw my books to the floor and whirled around. I could tell that she was intimidated by me because she took a step back.

    “I don’t know what kind of claim you think you have on Clay but you’ll do well to understand this. Before my father died, he taught me how to throw punches. So, unless you want to go to the doctor to have rhinoplasty done, I suggest that you back up and keep your distance from me.”

When I had my say, I bent over to pick up my books and went about my way. I wanted to look back and see what kind of a tantrum she was having but she really was not worth my time. I walked past Mr. Richmond and he tried to hide the smile on his face. He just kept walking by me and I went about my business. He obviously saw my exchange with Jessica and enjoyed someone putting her in her place.

The longer the day wore on, the worse I felt. I honestly thought that that I was just tired and needed to go home but I started feeling really nauseous and light headed. I could barely focus on my classes and when the bell rung for lunch, I was the last one out of the door. Before I could even walk the whole length of the hallway, Haylee was walking up to me.

    “Hey Claire. You feeling okay?”

    “Not really, no” I answered.

    “Well, come on. Let’s get you to the cafeteria and sat down,” she said walking with me.

The entire time during lunch, I just sat there with my head down. The nausea was more intense and I felt like I just wanted to vomit just being around everyone eating. I had an unopened bottle of water in front of me but I just needed the rest. When I heard the bell dismissing lunch, I raised my head and looked around for a minute.

    “Ugh,” I groaned as I tried to stand up. I felt myself start to lean over but was caught by Tara.

    “Girl, you are roasting. I think you need to go to the nurse,” she said.

    “I think you may be right,” I agreed and made a move to turn around. Once again, I felt myself leaning but this time I didn’t feel anyone catch me.

I tried to open my eyes to fast and the bright light made me nauseous all over again. I quickly shut my eyes and slowly opened them. I didn’t want to chance moving my head right now because I felt like my head weighed a thousand pounds.

    “Hey there,” I heard a male voice. I looked over slowly and was entranced by a beautiful set of hazel eyes.

    “Um... where am I?” I asked, trying to sat up. I felt his hands on me and helped me up.

    “You are in the nurses office. I was walking by when I saw your friends trying to stand you up. You looked a little green and disoriented and I was able to catch you just before you fall on the floor.”

    “Oh my gosh,” I cried. “I am mortified.”

    “Why’s that? I’ve always been told that girls just fall at their feet for me,” he said winking at me.

    “Are you trying to flirt with the sick girl?”

    “Sure am. Besides, I think you owe me anyhow.”

    “Why do you say that?”

    “You almost fell on top of me,” he smirked

    “Just kill me now,” I groaned and hid my face.

    “Nah, not right now.”

    “Oh my god,” I heard Haylee shriek.

    “Haylee, I love you but a little lower octave please.”

    “We were so worried about you,” Tara said looking over Haylee’s shoulder.

    “Where’s my sisters?” I asked.

    “We’ll go get them,” Hayle said, grabbing Tara’s hand and dragging her out of the office.

    “I’m sorry but I don’t seem to recall a name.”

    “It’s Jesse,” he smiled a brilliant white smile. I sat there for a few minutes before the nurse walked in.

    “Jesse, why didn’t you come get me hen she woke up?” she asked, hitting his shoulder. I thought it was strange that a member of the school staff would hit a student.

    “Sorry, mom. She hasn’t been up long,” he said and I guess that was my answer.

    “How are you feeling, sweetheart?” she asked.

    “I still feel bad but better than I was earlier. How long have I been out?”

    “Just an hour and a half,” Jesse answered.

    “Thank you, Jesse. Can you please let me take a look at her?”

    “Don’t let me stop you,” he smirked.

    “Jesse Edward Tolliver!”

    “Mom!” he shouted but she only ignored him.

    “Let me check your temperature,” she said taking the thermometer and putting the cover on it. After it beeped, she said, “One oh two point seven. I need to call your mother,” she finished walking out of the door.

    “You live up to your reputation,” Jesse said.

    “What?” I asked, starting to feel bad again.

    “Your friends with Haylee so your probably friends with Brent.”

    “Yeah, I actually met him and Clay Redden before I met Haylee.”

    “Brent and Clay told me about the new girl. Your name is Claire, right?” he asked. I looked at him like he had a second head growing out of him and wondered what Clay and Brent said about me.

    “What did they say about me?”

    “They just said that you moved here after your dad passed away. Said you were a real nice girl and you missed your dad.”

    “I do miss my dad. A lot.”

    “I know how you feel. My dad was a police officer and he was shot while on duty. He lived for three days after that. The day before he died, he told me to make sure I took care of mom and my little sisters.”

    “Sorry about your dad. It’s hard thinking that he’s never going to be here again. I’d give everything up just to have him back.”

    “I know that feeling,” he said and then we fell into a comfortable silence. I felt like Jesse was someone I could talk to and to have him here with me, it was nice.

Fifteen minutes later, I was walking out to my mom’s car and heading to the hospital. I gave my keys to Haylee so she could take the twins home and drop my car off. Mom was nervous while we were at the hospital and I couldn’t blame her because I was to. We didn’t know what was wrong with me but we soon would.

An hour and a half later, I was discharged with the flu. I had to take the next two days off from school which left me going back on Thursday. It sucked but I knew I needed the rest. Mom stopped by and had my prescription filled and stopped to pick up a pizza for supper. When we got home, mom ran Haylee home and while the girls ate, I went and covered my head in my blankets.

*               *               *               *               *

When I woke up the next morning, it was extremely quiet. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was nearly eleven in the morning. I slowly got out of bed and went to take a shower. I seemed to have sweated a lot last night because I was drenched. After my shower I walked to the kitchen and saw a letter on the fridge from mom.

Claire,

Hope you get to feeling better. Don’t overdo it today and just rest. Don’t eat anything to heavy and don’t worry about anything. See you when I get home this evening.

Love, Mom

I took the note down and opened the door. I looked for something to eat and decided on just toasting some bread and having a glass of orange juice. When I finished with that, I went to the living room and lounged around. Just before I laid down, the doorbell sounded. I got up and answered the door only to be engulfed by arms.

    “Haylee told me you were sick,” Brent said.

    “I’m still contagious.”

    “I don’t care. My Legs needs to relax and I come bearing homemade chicken noodle soup,” he said presenting a bag in front of my face.

    “Be sure to tell your mom I said thanks,” I smiled and walked towards the kitchen. I heard the door click and heard Brent hot on my heels.

    “What makes you think mom made it?”

    “Brent, did you make this soup?” I asked.

    “No, mom did,” he smiled. “Come on, you need to rest,” he said walking up behind me and lifting me up in his arms.

Once we were settled on the couch, we argued over what to watch. He wanted to watch Sports Nation and I wanted to watch some soap operas. He said that he would not be caught dead watching a soap because it emasculated him. We finally decided to watch a movie and we agreed on Battleship. He wanted to watch it because of the action and I was game to watch Taylor Kitsch.

I didn’t know I fell asleep but when I woke up, my feet were on Brent’s lap and Clay was sitting in the chair. I slowly set up and Brent moved my feet off of him and said that he was going to go get my medicine and some soup.

    “How are you feeling?” Clay asked.

    “Contagious,” I said.

    “Haylee said that Jesse practically swept you off of your feet,” he said with some weird look on his face.

    “Funny,” I groaned. “He just caught me from falling on my face.”

The three of us just sat there while they flipped through the channels and I was actually texting Marley. She was telling me about this boy that she had a crush on and that he finally asked her out. Their first date ended in disaster because he ended pouring her iced coffee all over her. She forgave him though because,  and the quote her, ‘he’s just to cute for words.’

When mom walked through the door, she greeted the guys and went to the kitchen. She questioned about the soup in the refrigerator and told Brent to tell his mom thank you for thinking about me. When it was time for the girls to come home, Brent and Clay both decided they would go ahead and go also.

Things still seemed weird with Clay but I didn’t want to say anything because he actually came over and sat with me today. I just wish I knew why he was acting so strange. Whatever it was had to be big because he was never like this. At least not until after that night I broke up with Duncan. He needed to get over what was bothering him because I really missed his carefree friendship.

**************************************************************************************************

WOOHOO ! ! ! ! ! !

Updated a day early... GO ME ! ! ! ! ! 

If you all read my note at the end of the last chapter, I told you all that I have been sick. Let me tell ya... IT WAS NOT FUN ! ! ! ! I was sick for 2 WEEKS ! ! ! ! ! ! I finally broke down and went to the hospital this past weekend and they did blood work on me, chest x rays and a flu swab. Have you ever had a flu swab done???? That crap HURTS like the dickens. Oh my goodness. I'd rather be tested for strep throat than having that swab shoved up my nose. All of that came back okay so thank the good Lord in Heaven.

Anywoo... Turns out I had a nasty case of an upper respiratory infection and it led to having acute bronchitis. I have breathing problems anyway but I never want to experience that again. I could not haardly talk without my mouth and throat going completely dry and start choking. Hmmmm..... That's about it though. I am feeling completely better now. I'm still coughing a little and all that but after getting a shot of antibiotics and a prescription for them, I'm back to myself.

Okay... enough about me... How did you feel about the chapter??? I'm thinking that Jesse will be played by... Jesse Metcalfe because he's just pretty to look at.

I know a lot of you are still itching to know what goes on when Clay reveals the situation and how Claire will react.... Give me some time y'all... It's coming and it's going to be good. I might get some hate but good things come to those who wait.

So.. I hope you all enjoyed it and if you did... leave me some love. Let me know how I'm doing....