Foreverquest (pt 1)

"Owww" I murmured rubbing my temple. It felt like I just got chewed up and spat back out. My entire body ached, I was thirsty, I had a splitting headache, and my wrists felt like they'd been burned. My senses felt overloaded in a way they never had before. When I opened my eyes my retinas felt like it was flooded with blinding light. After adjusting I noted how much more vivid the world looked than normal. Sharper even, could it be the way the game renders its graphics?

"June?" I said sitting up. He was nowhere to be found. My chest tightened and my heart rate quickened. I did it again, I caused this.

"June! June!!!!" I called out in all directions. God now he's making me look silly. I need to calm down, I took slow methodical breaths in and out.

I looked around, I was in the center of a sweeping plains biome. Miles away in every direction were tall walls made of stone, and beyond that were nothing but mountains. There were villages peppered throughout the land and even further still was an enormous looming castle. It looked like it was both alive and rotting. The architecture looked absurd, black, gold, barbed, and angular. Like a living weapon.

I looked straight up and noticed the sky looked like a dome, the skybox couldn't have been more than a few hundred feet high. This world felt small, to say the least. Good, better chance of getting home that way.

I stood up, dusted myself off, and began walking towards the nearest town. When I was about 50 meters away from the entrance I noticed a towering translucent wall that stretched all the way to the sky box. It looked like a safe zone, I passed harmlessly through it.

The entrance had an arch with the name on it, "Kakarito village!". I walked inside and instantly it was like an RPG starting town come to life. NPCs populated the streets carrying baskets of food, horse-drawn carriages, taverns, blacksmiths, potion shops, traveling merchants, the whole Shebang.

I walk inside a nearby tavern to gather supplies. It was a rowdy place that reeked of alcohol. Dozens of fat old men yelling, arm wrestling, and speaking of women in quite an undignified manner. How cliche. I approached the bar carefully,

"Hey you, give me a pint of orange juice and rations for a day," I said putting down a hundred dollar bill.

"Sorry miss you must not be from around here, we only accept tokens."

Tokens? That's their currency I guess, could they mean,

"Here, and throw in a satchel"

I said putting down 5 tokens I'd attained from the arcade.

"Perfect I'll ring ya up!"

Pretty solid dialogue tree. He handed me my items and I was on my way. That castle is probably the capital and if my years of playing RPGS and reading science fiction have taught me anything that's where the final boss is at and defeating it is our ticket out of here. June's probably figured that much so hopefully I'll meet him along the way.

I left the tavern while only receiving a few dirty looks. Gross. Going from the dim inside of the tavern to the bright outdoors again hurt my eyes more than it should. While I was trying to adjust a small boy ran into me and fell over.

"Hey! Watch out! Don't you know I'm Leo Lionheart the Orc slayer! Hero of Kakarito!" He said waving a short fake red sword around at me.

"Uh-huh"

I saw who I assumed was his mother rushing over to me with a distressed look on her face. She bowed half a dozen times in apology.

"I'm so sorry young lady, he's just excited about his new costume. I'll be sure to give the boy a talking to!" She said grabbing him by the ear and dragging him off.