Chapter 41

"Addy, come help in the kitchen."

"Yes, Ma," I replied, reluctantly closing my copy of My Sister's Keeper and sliding down the stairway. 

It was only a bit past 4, but the early winter sunset meant that an array of aureate light encompassed our corner of West County. I smelled the aroma of fresh bread and warm embers when I entered the kitchen, where I found Mum and a myriad of floating kitchen utensils eagerly preparing supper. I smiled at the sheer tranquility, the normalcy of it all. How I loved being home for the holidays. 

Today was Christmas Eve, one of my favorite days of break, when the excitement is close enough to grasp but everything is still in front of you.

I took to boiling potatoes as Mum prepared the meatloaf. James popped in and out, trying various foods and returning in a matter of seconds. Dad sat at the big wicker chair, tapping his foot incessantly, ever-stressed about work. 

"It's time for you to retire," Mum would tsk, about once a day.

"Oh, Mia," was all Dad would reply, shaking his head and continuing to flip through his papers. Even approaching his 70s, as our parents had had children late, I was sure he would never stop. 

When supper was ready, we held hands, said grace, and dug in.

"I have an announcement," said Dad, once we had cleaned our plates. "I invoke Potter Family Game Night."

It felt like home.

My high of dominating in Exploding Snap was crushed by losing to Mum in three moves in Wizard's Chess. James and Mum took so long to play each other that I went out for some fresh air. 

From the patio, I stared at the silent, inviting landscape. As much as I appreciated living here, I realized I was glad I went to Hogwarts. This simply wasn't my everything anymore.

I jumped up in surprise when a sudden commotion from inside interrupted my meditation. 

James ran out the front door. "Get inside, Addy. Now."

"What do you mean?" I asked, although following his command. 

I watched as Mum and Dad pulled out their wands and started out the door. I made to follow them until James held me back and pulled me into the basement door. 

He locked the door behind us. "There are guests, Addy. And we didn't invite anyone."

The realization of potential danger dawned on me, but I still wanted to help. "We can go, too," I said.

"We can't use magic yet," James said, looking slightly grumpy and even a bit fearful. "Mum and Dad will handle it. They always do."

We sat in silence, feeling like helpless little kids. Fear crept along my shoulders like a cold blanket. 

After a few minutes, we heard five sharp knocks on the door – our family symbol. 

"Wait here," James said, opening a crack of the door. I heard muffled voices until James turned back and said, "Sirius is here."

"But he always comes after Christmas," I muttered, quickly sitting up to follow him out.

"I know," James said, but the worry in his voice told me something was wrong.

James held the door for me and I found Sirius waiting on the other side, a somber smile across his face. I walked up to him and hugged him.

"You're here," I said into his shoulder.