Chapter 9

After waking up 20 minutes later than I was supposed to, I somehow arrived at the quidditch pitch just in time for trials. It looked like there were about a dozen kids trying out for the team, some of whom probably already rostered from last year. 

I noticed Katie Cresswell, one of my roommates, in the back of the group. I was surprised she was here, because she didn't strike me as the athletic type, but I walked up to her to say hi.

"Katie! I didn't know you were trying out."

"Yeah. I've been on the team since last year. I'm the Seeker," she responded. It was the longest I've heard her talk.

I smiled, albeit a bit surprised, but then turned around because James started talking. 

"Listen up, Gryffindors! You all know me, but my name is James Potter and I am your Quidditch Captain this year. We were so close to getting the Cup last year, but those smart-aleck Ravenclaws stole it from us last second. This year, it's gonna be different. We're going to have the best seven that Hogwarts Quidditch has ever seen. I'm talking about not losing a game, never getting scored on, always–"

"We should get ourselves a better captain, then!" Sirius called from the back, and everyone laughed.

"You forget, Black," continued James, "that I now have the power to remove you from the team. That goes for the rest of you as well. I want to see your best performance every practice. And if you were on the team last year, your spot isn't guaranteed."

A series of groans came from the crowd.

"Well, get on the pitch, then. Let's get started." James conducted us to fly around the pitch for a few laps, just to see our experience levels. I was nervous, but once I was up on my broom, I felt like I was flying. Well, I was.

I was surprised to learn I was one of the fastest flyers. I was able to keep up with Katie and Sirius at the front of the group. After a few minutes, I had double and triple lapped some of the others trying out.

James signaled for us to land after a few minutes. He stood in front of us with a clipboard and a pen that was scribbling notes on its own. "Great! Now we're going to move to some drills with the Quaffle."

We did some scrimmages, some more drills, and practice shooting on the only Keeper – Benji Fenwick. Despite his small figure, he was extremely quick. He saved almost every shot.

I was not very proficient in the Beater drills, but shooting went pretty well for me. Besides, it seemed like Sirius and Marlene McKinnon (a short, athletic fifth-year with long blonde braids) weren't looking to give up their beater spots. Also, it was clear that Katie was the only one fit to be Seeker. She had such quick reflexes, darting around the pitch and following the snitch in every direction. Despite my speed, I was terrible at turning and stopping. I definitely wasn't cut out to be Keeper, and that seemed like Benji's job, so I was crossing my fingers that there would be an extra Chaser spot.

After what seemed like forever, James called for us to come down. "Great work, everyone. I wish there were enough spots for everyone, but you can always come back next year. Except for you, Ricky."

Ricky Dan was James' friend, but he was a seventh-year. He must have tried out for fun, because he did not look like he had ever sat on a broom in his life. When James made the comment about him, he just shrugged with a chuckle.

"Er, anyway, if I call your name, please remain on the pitch. The rest of you may go," James continued. "Marlene McKinnon."

"Shocker," Marlene teased, and Sirius shoved her in the gut. 

James hushed them. "Sirius Black."

Marlene shoved Sirius right back.

"Benji Fenwick. Katie Cresswell. Davey Gudgeons." James stopped and closed his clipboard.

One more spot. My whole body went numb with anticipation. James look me dead in the eyes.

"Addy Potter." 

A smile wrapped around my face faster than you could say Snitch. In the midst of the disheartened players walking away from the field, James nodded at me, his eyes sparkling with pride.

"Everyone's in the same positions as last year," James told us, once the excitement had settled. "We have two new additions, however. Davey Gudgeons and Addy Potter will be joining us as Chasers."

I looked to the boy on my right, who I assumed to be Davey. He stuck out his hand for a fist bump, so I obliged with a smile. 

"Practices will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You're expected to be there unless you let me know beforehand. And you better have a good reason. Let's win this Cup!" James put his hand in a fist in the center of the group.

We all laid our hands on top of his and yelled our cheer. "Gryff on three, Gryff on me, one, two, three, GRYFFINDOR!" 

"Alright, everyone out. Ravenclaw's booked the pitch right after us," James grumbled.

As I walked off the pitch to set my tryout jersey and broom in the locker room, someone called out,"Hey!" 

I turned to see a boy with blonde hair and a blue jersey, but I didn't think he was talking to me. After a second, though, I realized he was staring directly at me. I glanced behind me to see if he could be talking to someone else, but the room was empty. 

"Hi," I said, a bit startled.

 "It's Addy, right?"

 I nodded.

"I'm Bertram. Bertram Aubrey. We have Arithmancy together," he continued. He pointed at the Quidditch pitch, "You looked really good out there. I mean, you were really good. Fast! At trials, you know."

I laughed. "Thank you. You're on the Ravenclaw team?"

"Captain," he said proudly. "I've got to go, but I'll see you around, hopefully." He winked and ran away.

I waved goodbye as he ran onto the pitch. 

On my way to breakfast, I couldn't get that conversation out of my head. Did I say something stupid? Did I say enough? Did I talk too much? Was I annoying? 

I didn't know why I cared so much, but I was thinking about it all day. Well, that and THE FACT I MADE THE QUIDDITCH TEAM!!!