Chapter 40

My eyes opened slowly, a bit unsure why Mandy's usual disco soundtrack hadn't woken me up like it did every morning. I flipped to my right to try to go back to sleep, but my heart stopped in my chest. I stared at an unfamiliar lump of covers sleeping in front of my gaze. Was one of my roommates in my bed?

That thought occurred right before I realized – this wasn't my bed. This wasn't my room. My chest pounded as I silently, motionlessly glanced around, taking in my surroundings and looking for signs of where I was. Posters on the wall, Quidditch jerseys, messy clothes everywhere.

 I was in a boys dorm.

This wasn't James's. This wasn't even Regulus's.

I took a deep breath, trying to stay calm about why I had no recollection of where I was or how I got there. I retraced my steps of last night. I went to the Slug Club, James and Lily left, Regulus and I fought, I talked to Rosier, I left with Bertram. 

Bertram? My stomach crumpled. I shook in fear with the realization of who the person next to me was, but I prayed it wasn't true. Why would I have ever left with Bertram? Had I lost my mind? And why couldn't I remember anything after leaving the Slug Club? 

No matter what, I needed to leave as soon as possible.

I quietly shifted out of my covers, trying not to think about where I got the ratty t-shirt I was in, or where my dress went, and reached for the wand on the bedside table. I thought about cursing him, but thought better of it until I had an explanation. I held the wand out in front of me defensively, and then I chucked a nearby candle at Bertram's head.

"Ow!" a voice yelled that did not sound like Bertram's high-pitched yell. "Ads, what the hell?"

Ads? 

"Regulus?" I managed. I hadn't realized how scared I had been until all of my fear washed away in that second. I collapsed to my knees in shock. 

Regulus was here, and everything was okay.

"You're shaking," he whispered, groggily coming over to help me up. He pulled me up and I sat in his arms on the bed. He was wearing nothing but green printed boxers. The shirt I was in must have been his. 

"I thought I was – I thought you were–" I stammered, still unable to process what had just happened.

"Shhh," he said, rubbing my back. "I know."

"What happened?"

He sighed. "It's a long story. I'll go get us some coffees and we can talk. Are you okay here for a second?"

I nodded.

He pulled on a hoodie and sweats and kissed me on the head before leaving.

Regulus returned 10 minutes later with a full plate of breakfast and two hot coffees. I gladly took mine in my lap. 

"This isn't your room," I noted when he came back.

"Yeah. It's Frank's."

"Frank Longbottom's?" I asked in confusion. 

"Yes. I'll explain."

"Wait," I said. "Before you start. I'm sorry. For calling Slytherins idiots. I don't think that at all. I was scared of the Ravenclaws, and I didn't know what to say, so I got caught off guard. That's not an excuse, and I'm sorry, but I just wanted you to know."

He laughed. 

"What?" I asked, upset that he wasn't taking my apology seriously.

"I just can't believe that's what you're worried about." When he saw my frown, he added, "But, I forgive you. Thank you. I know you didn't mean it."