Chapter 7

Shirley and Mandy were asking me all kinds of questions as I was trying to get ready for my first day of classes. They quizzed me nonstop about the campus, teachers, and schedule to make sure I was prepared. As much as I appreciated their determination, I felt pretty confident on my own, so I was a little too eager to excuse myself to breakfast.

My time in the Great Hall was a bit rushed. I wanted to be early to my first class, History of Magic with Professor Binns. Although his class was known to be quite boring, I wanted to make a good impression. 

I decided to sit in the third row, close enough to the front to pay attention easily, but not so close that I would seem like a teacher's pet. 

A few minutes before the start of class, Professor Binns walked – no, floated – into the classroom.

 He was a ghost. Completely transparent. I furrowed my brow, surprised that in all the conversations I've had about Professor Binns's boring classes, no one had decided to mention that he was a literal ghost.

I stood up to introduce myself. "My name is Addy Potter, sir. Nice to meet you."

I stuck my hand out for a handshake, but then quickly put it down. I hope it didn't offend him (because of his inability to shake a hand). I've never had a conversation with a ghost before. 

Professor Binns seemed a bit distracted but polite. "Potter, did you say? I had your brother James last year. And your parents a while back. Very well, then. Take your seat."

By the time I made it back to my seat and Professor Binns started talking, the class felt hours long already. He even made the first day boring by telling us the history of the first day of school at Hogwarts. 

I crossed my fingers, hoping that my next class, Herbology with Professor Sprout, would be more intriguing.  

As I was heading down the steps in the back of the castle toward the greenhouses, someone called after me.

"Addy! Are you in this class?" Audree asked. Today, her hijab was a forest green to match her Slytherin robes. Lucinda strode by her side.

"Yeah!" I said. "You guys are too?'

"It's Slytherins and Gryffindors," Lucinda said in a monotone. I wasn't sure if she was correcting me or realizing it for herself.

I nodded, and we walked into the greenhouse together. Serpentine dragon statues twisted over the roof of the small building, where a mess of students in green and red robes were gathered. The minute I walked through the door, my jaw almost dropped. The fluorescent green coloring, tangling ivy, and gigantic plants were unbelievably gorgeous. It made my small garden at home look like a pile of tossed-out weeds. 

I followed Audree and Lucinda toward the back of the room. A short, plump woman stood in the middle of the group;. It was Professor Sprout, the Hufflepuff head of house. I had seen her the night of the Sorting Ceremony a few days ago, but I didn't know all that much about her. 

Once all the students had arrived, Sprout began her lesson. "For those of you who have not met me, I am Professor Sprout, head of the Hufflepuff House. This year in Herbology we will be learning about and caring for all sorts of magical plants and fungi, specifically Wiggentrees,  Bouncing Bulbs, and the Flutterby Bush. Today, we will just be exploring the greenhouse and getting comfortable in our workspace."

She instructed us to make our way around the greenhouse, emphasizing that we were to view and not touch. "You may venture anywhere you please except for the restricted section in the far corner. Those plants are dangerous."