Surprise Surprise

As early as 3:00 am, Alina was already awake, her sleep disturbed by news she hadn't shared with her husband, Michael, the King of Emerald Kingdom. Tall and handsome, Michael had a temper, his green eyes and dark lips a result of his smoking habit. Knowing his temperament, Alina struggled to find a way to approach him without causing trouble.

'If I don't tell him, who will?' she wondered.

Gently touching him, she prepared to speak, her soft palm and gentle blue eyes conveying her anxiety.

"My King, please wake up," Alina stuttered, only to be abruptly interrupted by her husband.

"What's wrong with you, woman? Every time you're either stuttering like a scared cat or talking like a shy child. Now, tell me what you want before I banish you from this room," he snapped angrily.

Relieved that he didn't strike her, Alina took a deep breath before speaking.

"I am... pregnant," she announced, her breath heavy with emotion.

"You're pregnant?" Michael exclaimed excitedly. "Wow, a boy, right? Hahaha!" he laughed, clapping his hands with enthusiasm.

"How do you know it's a boy and not a girl?" Alina asked, confused.

"Don't tell me you're hoping for a girl," he responded with a deep voice.

"No, my king, I'm just asking. We haven't been to the hospital, and the baby is only three weeks old. Only a prophet or prophetess could foresee the gender," she explained quickly.

For the first time, Alina spoke without her usual shyness.

Even on their wedding day, she had struggled to speak clearly, earning her the nickname "Shy Lady."

FLASHBACK

Ten Years Ago

"Will you take Alina as your wife?" the priest asked Michael.

"Yes," Michael replied with a smile.

"Will you take Michael as your husband?" the priest asked Alina, who hesitated before responding.

"Yes, yes I will," Alina answered.

"What did you say, Majesty?" the priest inquired, lowering his head to hear her.

She nodded, indicating yes, and the priest proceeded with the marriage ceremony.

People were surprised that the king of Emerald Kingdom was marrying someone so shy. They questioned how she would represent the kingdom when the king wasn't present and doubted her suitability as queen. The elders even encouraged her nickname, signaling the beginning of her struggles as queen.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Returning to the present, Alina listened as Michael explained his expectations for their child, hoping he wouldn't notice her fear.

"I just believe it's a boy. If it's a girl, it's an abomination in my kingdom," Michael declared sternly. "That girl will be treated as an illegitimate child, initially as a princess. However, upon reaching adulthood, she will be disowned and exiled unless she chooses to be a maid. The mother will also face exile. Pray for a boy so he can inherit the throne," he concluded, observing Alina's curious expression.

Comforting her, Michael glanced at the clock, noticing it was six in the morning. Memories of a past confrontation resurfaced.

FLASHBACK

Eight Years Ago

"Michael, we need to talk," Alina said, waking him early in the morning.

"How dare you call my name with your disgusting mouth?!" Michael exclaimed, slapping her.

"From now on, address me as 'my Lord.' Isn't that what I am to you?" he demanded angrily.

"Yes, my Lord," Alina replied, bowing her head.

"Why did you wake me?" he questioned, irritated.

"I need to talk to you about something," she said shyly, holding her cheek where he had slapped her.

"Shy lady speaks again. Hurry up before I slap you again," he threatened, his dark eyes devoid of affection.

After crying for a moment, she finally spoke.

"Shouldn't we go to the doctor?" she began, interrupted by the clock and another slap.

"This is the last time you wake me for such a trivial matter. If you need someone to keep you company, wake a maid. Now, get out," he ordered, dismissing her.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Alina answered the ringing telephone, snapping her back to reality.

"My Lord, it's time for your meal. Shall I call the maids?" she offered, but he intervened.

"Don't worry, Alina. I'll bring the food myself. You've brought me joy, and I won't punish anyone, including you, until we know the child's gender," he reassured her gently.

Surprised by his kindness, Alina prayed for guidance. Reflecting on his recent behavior, she recalled when he was unexpectedly gentle after mistaking her sickness for pregnancy.

AUTHORS NOTE: Hi guys. Hope u enjoyed this chapter and by the grace of God the rest of the chapters will be good too.

This is my first book on Wattpad so...PLEASE! Take it easy on me!

So...What lies ahead for Alina? Will the baby be a boy or a girl, and how will Michael react? Will her troubles cease if she gives birth to a boy, or will nothing change?

(THE QUESTIONS ABOUND)

If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote, comment, and share. Your support would mean the world to me.

Thank you 😊😊.

~ giftedFortune