Chapter 8: Deception

1125's footsteps echo across the vestibule, as a few scientists look at 1125 with their mouths gaping. Yet another surprise appearance. But she specifically was thought to be dead. Deceased. Yet here she was in the flesh. Standing before her co-workers once again. Emerging from the crowd was 9637 followed by 1245 and 5554. "I swear, didn't we just go through this scenario?" 5554 muttered to himself. 9637 analyzed his co-worker. She seemed different. Drastically. She didn't appear to be her usual perky and childish self. Her gaze was devoid of emotion currently, being a direct contrast to what everyone knew her as. Silence followed for a few seconds.

Abruptly, 1125 would giggle lightly, putting a hand on her hip. "Are you all not happy to see me? Bummer." She said with a small pout. "Also 9637, you look weird. What happened to uh." She shook her head. "Nevermind." The small group looked uneasy. 1125 seemed so happy for someone who was thought to be dead. 1245 spoke up, asking the question everyone was thinking. "1125. We are happy you're alive. But...how exactly did you survive? Asimo's body was destroyed. We presumed the same thing happened to you as well." 1125 glanced to 1245. Her expression shifted to one of confusion from his question. "I...don't remember. I do remember getting stabbed. But after that, everything blacked out. When I came to, I was out in the forest." 9637 glanced around at his co-workers, who seemed to be muttering in agreement of how her story made sense. It was...weird. 9637 raised an eyebrow, noticing such abnormalities. Something potent was at work.

"When you woke up in the forest, where did you disappear for several days?" 9637 asked. "I just woke up today. Trust me, I would have come back here much earlier if I was conscious." 1125 said. Once again, that feeling of influence washed over the area, compelling everyone to agree with her. "Well...it is glad to have you back, 1125. We have much to catch you up on." 9637 said with a light smile. "There is still much work to do. We have a plan for the metal demon that fled on that day." 1125 would approach 9637, her bright smile still evident on her face. She got close to him. Almost too close. "Well, show me what I can do to help." 5554 clapped his hands, whooping.

"Alright! Maybe this'll go better than what we originally intended. We got 9637 back and one of our own isn't dead. What a good day." He said, with a joyful whistle. 1245 narrowed his eyes, glaring at 5554. "Do not let such a minor victory get to your head, 5554. Whilst it is good, we still have much work to do. On top of this, that 'anti-chrome society' is still a very existing threat." 1125 got an idea in the back of her head, to which she leaned to look past 9637 and at 1245. "Perhaps I could research this weird society thing? I'm very good at gathering intel...of course, you know this." She said with a sheepish giggle. 1245 nodded in agreement. "It'll work." 9637 cleared his throat. "If the prerequisites of who will do what have been decided upon, let's get to work people." The scientist would disperse to complete their various studies and tasks.

"I've been working on a tracker to locate Echo," 5554 said. "It's only a prototype, but it'll be able to pick up the purple chrome within them, since the bracelets couldn't even find him." 5554 grinned at 1245. "I need your help with this part of the schematic though, so let's head to my office." 1245 nods his head, and they venture off.

This left 9637 and 1125 alone in the vestibule, in silence. 1125 broke it after a few moments. "So! This anti-chrome society. Who exactly are they? I probably missed the whole arc after I came back here. I only saw mention of them when they first threatened us." 9637 chuckled, beckoning for 1125 to follow him to the elevator. "They are a group of individuals who intended to shut down our lab, and the research conducted here. Presumably, for the resource of chrome. The reasoning for this is unknown, and we have no knowledge on the number of members." 9637 said, whilst pressing the button on the elevator. "However, a figure of interest is known. We sadly have no leads on their identity. They go by an alias called 'JJ.'" 1125 averted her gaze, pondering. "JJ...that's a vague nickname. You think it's short for something?" 9637 waved his hand, dismissing the question. "Many figures are notorious for clever nicknames. There is no reason this one should be different."