Part Eleven

"You...you what..?" My heart seemed to sink in response to his unexpected words.

"But, don't fret, for I realized I didn't need to be. The adoption center offered training."

"Training?" I furrowed my brow.

"Knight training." He answered with a grin. My furrowed brow contorted into a surprised expression. "Surely you didn't doubt me? I told you I keep my promises."

My jaw almost dropped to the floor. "Doubt you? Never. I just....assumed you would take up another interest.." I averted my gaze as I spoke. I couldn't just tell him that this is not how the story is supposed to unfold.

"Oh, has my lady taken in another knight?" He asked, and I could hear the worry in his voice.

I let out an amused breath. "Of course not, Mikhail. I always remembered our promise, I just..."

"So, you did doubt me."

"That's not--"

"Not to worry. It's quite alright, I would too. I'm just happy to see you here today." He smiled and I could see just how genuine it was. "Are you here on scholarship?" I asked him to change the subject.

"Fortunately so. I have worked very hard for this opportunity."

"I see.." I looked down, feeling ashamed. It's my fault that he pushed himself so hard, I never should've encouraged him to--

"Edith," He lifted my chin to face him. "You haven't caused me any turmoil, I hope you know that. Rather, you gave me something to work for, something to look forward to. Before I met you, I spent every day in search of even a parcel of bread to eat, wondering if I'd live to see the sunrise of the next morning. I admit it was a pitiful life and I still faced hardships in the orphanage, but I chose to go through all of that, you didn't make me push myself, you just gave me hope to keep pushing on." He looked down at me sincerely but his face suddenly flushed red in embarrassment. "O-oh, I am sorry to have rambled--"

"I'm glad." I said as I rested my face in his palm. "I'm glad I inspired you, Mikhail."

His entire body became red-hot from the sound of my words and he looked away bashfully which, of course, caused me to laugh. "I thought you said you were bold." I giggled and he stared at me with a smile. "Well, it's hard to be in front of you--"

"AHEM."

We both slowly turned to see prince Heinry tapping his foot. "Yes, Your Highness..?" I looked at him with genuine confusion. He just sighed and rubbed his temple. "You haven't introduced me to your.." He looked Mikhail up and down, a slight hint of disgust on his face. "Friend."

It took all my strength not to bust out laughing when I saw his judgmental diva expression. Yet, I kept myself composed, that was until I glanced at Mikhail and saw him looking at me, clearly restraining his laughter as well.

In that instant, we both folded over laughing right where we stood. As I bellowed, I clutched onto his highness's elbow so I didn't fall over.

"Would you care to enlighten me on just what you find so funny?" He asked, his tone laced him displeasure.

I realized I might have offended him. "Your highness.." I wiped my tears as I gathered myself. Mikhail turned the other way and stifled his laughter. "I wasn't making fun of you, your expression was just--"

"Greetings, Crown Prince Heinry Damarcus." A voice came out of nowhere while I was in the middle of my sentence. Evalie stood there and lowered herself into a curtsy.

"Tch." Oh, my bad. I didn't mean to say that out loud. I quickly glanced around to see if anyone had noticed and caught Mikhail side-eyeing me playfully, before I felt the prince nudge me with his elbow as if to tell me to be proper.