Part Seven

Three years later....

"You've become very diligent as of late." Heinry says drowsily as he rests his head in his hands.

"Haven't I always been diligent?" I reply as I memorize the text of the historical book in front of me.

"Yes, but not this much," He sighs. "You might even surpass me, the prince."

"Well, that's no surprise." 

He shoots me a playful glare in response to my words.

"Haha, my apologies, your eminence, the future sun of the empire." I imitate a curtsy in my seat. He rolls his eyes. "You know, in all my years, I've never met anyone other than you that makes fun of my royal status."

"I can't help it when you have such a funny reaction." I giggle as I keep my eyes glued to the book before me, but suddenly, an arm reaches over me and snatches it up.

"Hey-"

"When I said I wanted to hang out, I didn't mean study in the royal library." He held the thick book in his hand and over his head, out of my reach, as he spoke.

"But, your highness," I pouted, "Only you have all these amazing books." I attempted a compliment with a pitiful look on my face in hopes that he would give in but he just laughed in response.

"If you mean to flatter me, don't compliment the library," He smiled and leaned down in front of me where I sat. "Then what else can I say?"

"Call me handsome." He smiled but I shot him a disgusted look. "You wish." I said and then stuck out my bottom lip. "I would never label such a ruffian as 'handsome'." I turned away and pretended to sulk.

"Hey," He said and leaned close to my face, slightly startling me. "Who else do you make that face for?" I tilted my head at his question. "Ummmm, just you--oh, and I believe Hilda as well." I responded in complete truth, still unaware as to why he asked me something so bizarre.

"Well, starting now, you can't make that expression for anyone else." He stated.

"Just because you commanded that, from now on, I shall make that very face to everyone I meet." I snarkily replied.

"Suit yourself," he shrugged, "But I'll just have to follow you everywhere." He grinned.

I visibly shuddered, causing him to slump his shoulders. "Does it displease you that much?" He asked in a hurt tone.

"Well, your highness said it, not me."

"So, it's true then?"

"Well, if your highness says so then it must be." I glanced up at his expression, his countenance was laced with displeasure.

I busted out laughing at the very sight.

"I do not find you funny, duchess." He pouted and averted his gaze, but his resolve didn't last long as he couldn't help himself and joined me in laughter.

------------

Prince Heinry was correct when he commented on my diligence. Enrollment for the royal academy was in just a week, and, as I lack any physical skills, I must use my wits and comprehension abilities in order to get in. 

In other, words, my only strength is my brain, and that is only because, in my past life, I made it to the age of sixteen, which is one year older than I am now, so naturally, I have more knowledge than someone my age should. Except, I can't help but feel as though the education system in this world is much harder than in mine, so I strain myself each day to ensure that I encompass every bit of information I could possibly need.