| Price of Life |

If you don't feel comfortable, please leave the book instead of reporting it. No one is forcing you to read it, and all trigger warnings have been provided.

This story isn't a sunshine x grumpy romance; it delves into darker themes.

***
PARINIDHI

Ajit: "Hey, sweetheart, how's your day going so far?"

"It's been a hectic morning, but hearing your voice makes it all better. How about you?"

Ajit: "Just counting down the minutes until I can see you. I miss you every second you're not by my side."

"I miss you too, Ajit. Your presence always brings a sense of calm to my chaotic days."

Ajit: "Well, I'll be waiting for you with open arms. Can't wait to wrap you in a hug and make all your worries disappear."

"I'm counting down the minutes too. See you soon, my love."

Ajit: "See you soon, my darling. I love you."

"I love you too, Ajit."

As the hot iron grazed my skin, I bolted awake from my dream, my hand aflame with pain. But it wasn't just the physical sensation that jolted me; it was as if a fire had ignited within me, consuming my soul with a searing intensity. Because this act of "kindness" had been bestowed upon me by my husband, The Devansh Agnihotri.

"Are you okay, wifey? Are you hurt?" His words dripped with mockery, his voice tinged with malice.

Unable to bear his gaze, I lowered my eyes, tears welling up as I whispered, "No, sir."

Devansh cast me a final glance before walking away. I crumpled to the ground, the impact jarring my already battered body.

I collapsed to the ground with a resounding thud, the searing pain in my hands echoing the torment of my soul.

I wasn't shedding tears because my love was left unfulfilled; even though we were in a relationship, Ajit knew well that my heart didn't belong to him. However, our friendship had deep roots, so there was a sense of attachment. After turning down his proposals numerous times, I finally accepted two years ago, giving our friendship the opportunity to blossom into something more.

Tears streamed down my face as I grappled with the cruel twist my life had taken, inundating me with nothing but relentless sorrow, the kind that seizes the very essence of one's being.

For twenty endless days, agony and despair have relentlessly pounded at the door of my existence.

"No, I'm not allowed to cry," I wiped my tears away.

I have no permission to cry

I have no permission to speak

It is my burden to answer every question he asks

It is my duty as a wife to obey his every command

It was the price I paid for the life of my brother, sacrificed in exchange for my obedience.

Any breach of these rules would be the catalyst for my family's destruction.