Chapter Three

Sometimes, I wonder if I also have the power to predict the future because my prediction that Rachel, Lena, Sorina and I will become good friends became reality after just one month. We've even become some kind of family, the mutant nerd family, and today is a special day for two of us, Rachel and me, because it will be our very first Danger Room session. We're nervous but I also have to admit that I am excited as well. I mean, it's the glorious Danger Room, one of the most advanced technological devices in the world and I have an exclusive access to it. That's definitely one of the benefits of being a mutant.

"Those black suits need a re-design.", Rachel acknowledges while we're waiting in front of the main entrance. She hates our black leather suits but we need them for protection. But I can relate her dislikes towards those suits as well. They might be essential but they are uncomfortable and have a strong leather scent. Hank says that we will get new ones when we will be full X-Men but until then we will have to stick to the standard model. We cannot await this day.

"Are you ready?", Kitty asks with her hands resting on her hips. She seems to like the black suits. We nod in response and are guided into the Danger Room. Basically, it's just a huge hall covered in wires and shining chrome but it is still impressive because it has such a striking futuristic look. "For your first Danger Room session your only task will be to escape using your powers, so nothing challenging. Just find an exit. But don't underestimate the situation and always remember that the Danger Room is a sensible device so don't be aggressive. I hope that you remember the Danger Room introduction from yesterday." We nod. "Any questions?"

"How much time do we have?", I ask.

"As much as you need but maximum an hour, okay?"

"Yes. So ... can we start?"

"Of course! Good luck, girls!" And with that Kitty leaves the room and moments later the room changes and we're in a labyrinth made out of glass which is surrounded by stone.

Rachel turns to me. "Okay. Where do we go first? Right or left?" I check our surroundings and spot a red sign hovering a few meters away from us. "Do you see this sign over there?" I point at it and Rachel spots it fast what makes her grin. "Teleport us there."

"Sure.", she replies and takes my hand. Within split seconds we stand in front of the red sign but there is no exit. It's just a sign.

"Err... Sofia?"

"Yeah, yeah... ", We look around and spot four more red signs.One of them has to show us the exit."

Rachel teleports to each one of them but none is the exit as it seems.

"I checked them all. They are just signs and there's nothing else than stone beneath them.", she says.

"Then it's harder than I thought." We continue looking around and more and more red signs show up. It seems pointless.

"Look, there's a green sign!", Rachel exclaims and teleports to it. It's just a hoax again. She returns. "Any idea?", she asks.

"Nope.", I reply. "Let's take a walk. Maybe it's a matter of perspective." She nods and we start wandering around while looking for an exit.

More signs in all kind of colours appear. Rachel checks out each one of them but they're all just signs showing nothing.

"Okay... this is really difficult.", she says and sits down. Suddenly, her expression changes and she knocks on the ground. "Do you hear that? It's hollow! The ground is the exit." She's right. It sounds indeed hollow. "But how do we get there? There needs to be an access." I look at the ground but there's nothing.

Maybe the signs are the key. I scan the surroundings and find the spot where the most signs are. "Can you teleport us to this spot over there?" I point to the place where the most signs are hovering over the ground. Rachel takes my hand and a blink later we're there.