Chapter 18

Ruri and Lanbaoshi walk through the city, the lights and neon signs blurring into a kaleidoscope of color. Ruri tries to focus on the feeling of coldness that seems to emanate from her fingertips, but she can't shake the nagging sense that something is off between her and Lanbaoshi. She catches her girlfriend glancing at her from the corner of her eye, a look that alternates between concern and confusion.

As they stop at a red light, Ruri takes a deep breath and finally musters the courage to bring up what's been bothering her. "Lanbaoshi, I've been feeling... distant from you lately. I'm not sure what's wrong." Lanbaoshi's expression softens, and she takes Ruri's hand in hers.

"I've noticed that too, love. I thought maybe it was just me, being too clingy or something. But I want you to know that I'm here for you, no matter what." Ruri looks into Lanbaoshi's sincere eyes, feeling a pang of guilt. She wants nothing more than to reassure her girlfriend, to tell her that it's not her fault. But the words won't come out.

They continue walking in silence for a few moments, the city's energy humming around them. Ruri can feel Lanbaoshi's warmth radiating through her fingers, a stark contrast to the coldness that seems to emanate from within. She wonders if she's somehow changing, if this ice magic is making her into someone different. The thought frightens her, but she also finds it oddly intriguing.

As they approach their favorite coffee shop, Ruri excuses herself to use the restroom. Inside, she stands in front of the mirror, watching her breath fog the glass. She focuses on the sensation of coldness, willing it to grow stronger, to become a shield against her feelings for Lanbaoshi. She wonders if she can use her magic to push Lanbaoshi away without her ever realizing it. The idea both terrifies and thrills her. She looks in the mirror and notices that her black hair has turned blue.

When she emerges from the restroom, she finds Lanbaoshi waiting for her at their usual table

When she emerges from the restroom, she finds Lanbaoshi waiting for her at their usual table. Her heart skips a beat as their eyes meet across the room. Lanbaoshi looks confused, hurt, angry. Ruri can feel the tension between them growing with each step they take towards one another. As they finally reach their table, they both take a seat, the air thick with unspoken words and unresolved emotions.

"I think we need some space," Lanbaoshi finally says, her voice barely above a whisper. "I don't know what's going on with you, but I can't keep doing this." Ruri nods, feeling a lump forming in her throat. "I understand," she manages to choke out. "I'll give you some time. Just... just let me know if you need anything."

With a final, lingering glance, they both stand up and walk away from the table. As they part ways, Ruri can't help but feel as though a piece of her heart is being left behind. She wonders if their love can survive this test, or if the coldness in her heart will forever keep them apart.

"Why is this world so cold?" Ruri asks herself up, her eyes red from crying, and for a moment they lock gazes. There's a silent understanding between them, a recognition of the pain they've both been through. Ruri reaches out, taking Lanbaoshi's hand in hers, and for the first time in weeks, she feels the warmth of her skin against her own.