𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗

For the next few days, you were only walking along the woods, resting on the chill ground beneath the trees and playing out every possible scenario of what you wanted your life to look like. Deciding on what you really expected from people, or what you liked to do. 

No one came to look for you in those few days that you were alone. Not Gojo, not Nanami, not Shoko – neither did your 'family'. Kenjaku didn't look for you, Mahito certainly didn't give a shit about your life, and even Choso didn't come.

Nights became days and days became nights, you stayed up, and just rested when it was absolutely necessary. 

How many times you paced around the tree by the time the first light of the sun rose above the horizon was something you didn't know – and actually didn't want to know either. You were running your thoughts about the future, about staying there and starting to fight for the good in the world, and about going back to Kenjaku and whooping Mahito's ass for leaving you there and returning to the darkness that had pulled you in once before. 

A faint cracking sound from the branches near you drew your attention away from your thoughts and you studied your surroundings eagerly. You glanced in every direction but the noises were getting louder and clearer the closer they came. 

Footsteps. 

It couldn't be anyone of them, they probably thought you were long gone by the time you gathered yourself again and sorted through your mind. Who was it then? The sun was already rising and the warm light was peeking out from the forest, heating up your frozen skin. 

You got up, looking for the source of the sounds you heard and as you turned your head towards the thicket there was nothing that could have prepared you for the moment that you lived through right now. 

"Y/N!"

Your eyes widened at the sight of Choso running towards you, and your jaw dropped when you saw the condition he was in. He was slender, thinner than he normally was, his deep-set eyes and sunken cheeks indicated that he was not feeling well – at all. 

As your eyes studied his slim figure running towards you, you couldn't do anything other than just stand there – the state of shock you were in had left you frozen in place. You expected everything, but not him. 

"Choso...," you whispered, so quietly that it vanished into thin air in front of you, "What are you doing here..." Your expression was blank as he embraced you into the tightest hug you could have imagined, because it was not even slightly how you thought it would feel like to wrap your arms around him again. 

He squeezed your body to his harder than before, quiet sobs leaving his lips at the same time you were trying to make sense of everything that went through your mind. The warmth of the morning sun tickled your skin and you took it as a sign to face the reality that you had feared so much in the past hours.

You knew he was there to take you back, and you knew didn't have much time to sort through everything that you wanted to tell him. But most of all – You knew you wanted peace and to find your place in this world, which could only be achieved if you were by yourself for a reasonable amount of time to figure all of this out on your own. 

One thing was sure, though, and that was that you needed to have a conversation with Choso. You needed to tell him everything that went through your head, every fear and every decision you dreaded making. He deserved to know.

He cupped your cheeks, his hands cold, and the fingers thin and fragile on your skin. There was nothing left of the man that you remembered, the strong hands that were able to hold you if you were falling apart. Because he was broken as well.