Chapter 30

Rio stared at Man 3, his eyes narrowing. "If you knew about this, why did you let Dr. Rega inject us with those substances? It's like you're helping her keep us here."

Man 3 leaned back in his chair, a sly smile playing on his lips. "Ah, but did I really allow it, Rio? How can you be so sure?"

Rio felt a chill run down his spine. "What do you mean? Of course, you allowed it. That's why you are still here, aren't you?"

The smile on Man 3's face widened. "Am I, though? Or is there more to this than meets the eye? Perhaps Dr. Rega has her own agenda, one that even I am not fully aware of."

Rio's confusion deepened.

Man 3's expression serious now. "I must confess, Rio, that I have been deceiving Dr. Rega and the company. The injections were nothing more than a ruse. I started this plan long ago, waiting for the right moment to make my move."

Rio's eyes widened in astonishment. "You mean, you were never under their control? You planned all of this?"

Man 3 nodded. "Yes, precisely. I chose the others to join me when I saw the right timing."

Rio felt a surge of hope. "So, what's the plan? How do we get out of here?"

Man 3 stood with his arms crossed, his eyes fixed on Rio. "You've done well to discover us this far, Rio. But your journey is far from over. You are our best chance at escaping this place, but I need to be sure you have what it takes to see this through."

Rio looked at Man 3, uncertainty flickering in his eyes. He had trusted Man 3 so far, but now he wondered if he had been wise to do so.

"I understand," Rio said finally. "I'll do whatever it takes to get us out of here."

Man 3 nodded, a determined look in his eyes.

Rio took a deep breath and recounted his observations at the clearing. He spoke of Batho, who seemed to be treated differently from the rest, and how the others seemed to hold a deep-seated resentment towards him. As he spoke, he watched Man 3 closely, trying to gauge his reaction.

Man 3 pressed his lips together, his brow furrowing in thought. He seemed to weigh his words carefully before replying. "Batho... he is a special case. There are reasons for the others' feelings towards him, reasons that go back a long way."

Rio's curiosity was piqued. "What reasons? Why is he treated differently?"

Man 3 hesitated, as if debating how much to disclose. "Batho is... unusual," he began slowly. "He was not part of the original group that arrived here. He came later, under mysterious circumstances."

Rio leaned forward, intrigued. "What do you mean by 'mysterious circumstances'?"

"He appeared on the island one day, out of nowhere," Man 3 explained. "None of us know how or why he got here. But his presence has always been... unsettling to some."

Rio furrowed his brow. "Unsettling? How so?"

Man 3 glanced around, as if checking for eavesdroppers, before leaning in closer. "There are whispers among the group," he said in a low voice. "Whispers that Batho is not like us. That he possesses abilities... beyond our understanding."

Rio's eyes widened. "Abilities? What kind of abilities?"

But before Man 3 could answer, a noise outside the cottage interrupted them. Both men tensed, listening intently.

The noise outside grew louder, resembling footsteps approaching the cottage. Man 3 motioned for Rio to stay put as he cautiously moved towards the door. With a swift movement, he opened it to reveal a figure standing in the moonlight.