Chapter 5

"Inspector Jaquan," Mr. Kagiso's voice cut through the air as he addressed the owner of the sprawling mansion, settling into the plush leather sofa opposite him.

Without a word, Mr. Kagiso poured a glass of whiskey, his demeanor as cold as the liquid. "I want to know what happened."

Choking on the fiery burn of the whiskey, Inspector Jaquan struggled to maintain composure. Confusion etched across his face, he queried, "What happened?" Wondering which part of the searching process Mr. Kagiso had missed, Jaquan thought he had been fully briefed.

Mr. Kagiso's penetrating black eyes bore into him. "Yes, I want to know what happened. How did Batho go missing? What did Mrs. Kagiso tell you about the incident?"

Under the intensity of Mr. Kagiso's stare, Inspector Jaquan shifted uncomfortably, setting down his whiskey. He had assumed Mr. Kagiso was aware of the details. Hadn't Mrs. Kagiso informed him about the incident? The mere thought of a distraught Mrs. Kagiso sent shivers down Jaquan's spine.

Turning his gemstone ring on his ring finger, Mr. Kagiso squinted, waiting for the inspector to respond.

Clearing his throat, Inspector Jaquan began, "Well, at about two in the afternoon today, we received a call from a SynthWatch. Mrs. Kagiso had made a police report about her missing son... your missing son," he blinked, recalling the unsettling events that had drawn him into this unwanted business.

Jaquan received notification almost immediately after the report was made. 

Following this, Inspector Jaquan retrieved his AD from his pouch. Activating it, he projected a holographic image of the riverside onto the coffee table between him and Mr. Kagiso. The scene unfolded, capturing the attention of both men. Mr. Kagiso studied the holographic riverside for a moment, prompting him to carefully move two glasses of whiskey away from the holographic projection.

The image of the riverside appeared surreal, frozen in a moment when the sky still held remnants of daylight, yet the night loomed outside the windows like a silent observer. The juxtaposition of the bright sky and the impending darkness created an eerie atmosphere.

Without the need for Inspector Jaquan to provide detailed explanations, Mr. Kagiso discerned the significance of the location. Every Wednesday and Thursday, Mrs. Kagiso would take Batho to the riverside. It was their routine, a time for Batho, a five-year-old with a profound interest in aquatic life, to study his favorite fish by the river. The Kamtona River, unique for being the sole watercourse in this part of Slateville that harbored various river creatures, served as their chosen spot.

Batho's fascination with creatures from both historical and contemporary times led them to this riverside haven. The image on the holographic display painted a vivid picture of the serene location where Mrs. Kagiso and Batho were last seen.

Opposite the riverside lay a quaint school, nestled amidst lush greenery and shaded by tall trees. The crystal-clear water mirrored the azure sky above, creating a tranquil atmosphere.

On the side of the riverbank frequented by Mr. Kagiso's wife and son, a stone bench sat beneath the comforting branches of an oak tree. Mr. Kagiso, having visited the riverside on several occasions, recalled the routine: his wife engrossed in a book while Batho, their son, squatted by the water's edge, fascinated by the creatures within.

Breaking the contemplative silence, Mr. Kagiso pointed at the school and the river, remarking, "It's an open area."

Inspector Jaquan was taken aback by the sudden comment, but only for a moment. He quickly understood Mr. Kagiso's intentions.

Inspector Jaquan, hesitating for a moment, nodded reluctantly, understanding the implication of Mr. Kagiso's observation. "Yes, it's an open area."

Tapping his fingers on the table with an impassive expression, Mr. Kagiso inquired, "What did Mrs. Kagiso say about the incident?"