Chapter 12

Rio adjusted his appearance one final time, ensuring every detail was in place. Satisfied with his disguise, he took a deep breath and stepped out of the Hyperloop Pod.

The mortuary loomed ahead, its imposing facade casting a shadow over Rio as he approached. With each step, his heartbeat quickened, anticipation and nervousness mingling within him.

As he reached the entrance and rounded the corner to walk to the back door, Rio's mind raced through various scenarios. Would his fake ID pass scrutiny? What if he encountered someone who knew Dr. Callas personally?

Pushing aside his doubts, Rio presented his forged ID to the Synthetik security at the back door. His heart pounded in his chest as the Synthetik security guard scrutinized the ID.

Rio nodded to himself, confident in his preparations. He had successfully manipulated the security system to recognize his new ID and appearance.

After what felt like an eternity, the guard nodded and allowed Rio to enter.

Stepping inside, Rio was enveloped by the cool, sterile air of the mortuary. The sound of footsteps echoed softly against the tiled floor as he made his way deeper into the building.

His senses heightened, Rio remained alert for any signs of suspicion or discovery. He knew that one wrong move could jeopardize his entire mission.

As he navigated the corridors, Rio's mind raced with questions.

Rio found himself in a dimly lit corridor lined with closed doors. Ignoring the eerie atmosphere, Rio pressed on, his eyes scanning the doors for any sign of Dr. Mossing's office.

After what felt like an eternity of searching, Rio finally spotted a door marked with the name "Dr. Mossing - Forensic Pathologist". With a sense of determination, he approached the door, hoping to find the answers he sought within.

Before Rio could even tap his knuckles against the door, it swung open, revealing a woman with piercing blue eyes and a stern expression. She scrutinized him for a moment before speaking.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was cool and professional, giving nothing away.

Rio cleared his throat, trying to appear confident despite the unease creeping over him. "I'm Inspector Morrison," he said, flashing his forged ID. "I'm here to assist with the ongoing investigations."

Her nametag on her white coat identified her as Dr. Mossing.

"Why did Dr. Well say you were on leave?" Rio wondered to himself.

"What ongoing investigations?" Dr. Mossing asked, still blocking Rio from entering the office.

Casting uneasy glances around him, fearing that Dr. Well might appear, Rio said, "Dr. Mossing, I hope we can have the conversation in your office."

Dr. Mossing hesitated for a moment before stepping aside to let Rio enter her office. She sat across from Rio and gestured for him to take a seat. "How can I help you?"

Rio cleared his throat and lowered his voice. "I need to talk to you about Batho." He paused to check her response, but Dr. Mossing gave nothing away.

"What about Batho?" Dr. Mossing asked, her expression unreadable.

Mr. Kagiso was famous in Slateville. If Dr. Mossing performed the forensic examination on Batho's dead body then she would have known Rio's purpose here in this office. But her lack of emotions was rather unsettling.

Had she been warned against speaking about this case? Did she know about Inspector Jaquan?

Knowing that it was crucial to decide if she was a foe or friend, Rio decided to probe further.