Tussling in Turffield

Summary: Before the battle between Ash and Milo, the group runs into Hop and Leon, learning more about the Darkest Day and preparing Hop and Ash for their upcoming challenges!

~ Chapter 9 | Tussling in Turffield ~

The day was still young and the sun shone brighyt in the sky on the site of Ash's first-ever official World Coronation Series battle as a member of the Masters Eight. However, there was still time, and Goh insisted he and Ash get to Turffield with enough time for Ash to prepare himself. It turned out to be a good thing they did, and Ash later thanked Goh for the insistence.

However, before the battle was to get underway, Ash and Goh needed to find a certain someone who had planned to meet them there after learning Ash's first battle would be taking place in Turffield. It wasn't too long before they noticed the ginger-haired researcher waving and calling their names, accompanied by her Yamper.

Ash and Goh walked with their Pokémon as well, Pikachu and Bulbasaur were perched on the shoulders of their trainers, and Riolu walked on the ground between them. As they did, he took in the sights of everything around him, every second experiencing the world he was born into. However, he was still on edge. The moment he hatched from the egg he was thrown into the fray of Team Rocket's attack, and all he knew for the most part was the evil that the world had to offer, so he couldn't take any chances to not be on guard.

Seeing this, Ash stopped and knelt down to Riolu, not necessarily at his eye level but low enough to establish equality in their relationship. "Hey, bud, it's okay, nothing out here is going to hurt you! It's the middle of the day and we're in the middle of town! Plus, if anyone does try to hurt you, we'll give them a piece of our mind!" He turned toward Pikachu on his shoulder. "Right, Pikachu?"

"Pi-ka-ka!" A few sparks flew from the mouse's cheeks, indicating his support in protecting the baby Pokémon.

Sonia approached the group, brushing a strand of hair out of her eye. "Glad you made it here safely. How was everything last night after you left Wedgehurst?"

Goh and Ash looked at each other, both painfully aware of the awkwardness that permeated their atmosphere last night, though the former didn't want that to become the center of conversation, today was a new day to move on from all of that. "It was fine, we got back to Motostoke safely."

"That's good, I'm happy to hear that!" Sonia beamed in her usual cheery attitude, though her face quickly turned to concern as she asked the next question. "What about that girl who was with you, Chloe I think her name was?" She asked, tapping her chin with her index finger. "She looked very in thought about something and she was refusing to talk with anyone."

Quickly interjecting, Goh explained that she was alright and that she was just shaken up from everything that happened, not having expected it when she came to deliver the research. He didn't go further than that, and certainly wasn't going to describe, in any detail, what he heard through the walls once they got back to the lab. It wasn't his place to share any of that and it wasn't anyone else's business.

"Poor girl...man those Team Rocket goons, I can't believe they would even do such a thing, luckily you guys were there to help us before the police arrived, we might not have been able to salvage so many things they stole if you weren't!" Sonia brushed the back of her hand over her forehead to show relief.

A stoical expression crossed Ash's demeanor as he nodded. "Yeah, Team Rocket is a tough thing to handle, I've been chased around by them for years and it seems they have no plans to stop. But if they come back and attack us in Galar, we'll beat them before they can even try anything."