Trouble Before The Storm

Summary: Ash and Goh arrive in Wedgehurst to meet with Professor Cerise's newest assistant, though learn some surprising things along the way!

~ Chapter 6 | Trouble Before The Storm ~

After taking the train from the station at the south end of the Wild Area, Ash and Goh arrived in Wedgehurst. It was a small town near the southern edge of the region that reminded Ash a bit of home. Though Goh mentioned that the town south of Wedgehurst, Postwick, was probably more similar to Pallet Town than Wedgehurst due to it being a farming town, just like Ash's home.

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask you," Ash turned to his friend as he gently petted Pikachu. "You seem to know a bit about Pallet Town, and I saw you and Chloe talking to Professor Oak yesterday. What's that all about?"

Goh nodded, grinning as if he were waiting for Ash to ask that question. "Well, I actually visited Pallet Town with Chloe when we were younger! We were there because Professor Cerise enrolled us in one of Professor Oak's Summer Camps! And it was there that Chloe and I saw Mew!"

"So you went there too, huh?" Ash asked, thinking back on his time at the camp. "I went there one time, I don't remember hearing about people seeing Mew, so I must've gone to a different session," he said, purposely leaving out the part where he completely missed the original session he was supposed to go to to save face. "But that's still so awesome you saw Mew when you were just six years old!"

"And I'm determined to see Mew again, no matter what it takes! And when I do, I think I'll cat—" Goh was interrupted as Ash pointed out the Pokémon Center, the place where they were supposed to meet this assistant of the Professor's. "Oh, right!"

The two headed in there, looking around the place to find their guy. They weren't given any details about what he looked like, just that he would be waiting there for him and that he would find them once they arrived. Goh had asked how he would recognize them, and the professor just assured them that 'it would work out'.

"Man, the Pokémon Centers in Galar are really nice! I still can't believe they have whole cafés in them!" Ash exclaimed, remembering his first reaction yesterday when he brought Pikachu to get checked out.

"Kaaaa..." Pikachu also relished in the extravagance of the building, thinking about how simple some of the Pokémon Centers in other regions can be.

"So the guests of honor have arrived!" A snarky voice suddenly pierced the atmosphere of the building.

Ash and Goh, as well as their partners, couldn't help but look to where it came from, not sure if the remark was even meant in their regard. They saw a man on one of the swivel seats at the cafe turn around quickly, flashing a grin at both of them. Seeing that he was looking at them, Goh assumed that this was their guy, but Ash had a completely different reaction.

"G—Gary?!"

"Pika?!"

"The one and only!" He pointed to himself as he hopped out of his chair, landing with force on the wooden floor and interlocking his hands behind his back. "It took ya long enough to get here."

Goh was stuck between wanting to ask Ash how he knew who this was, and wanting to make a comeback at this so-called 'Gary'. He already didn't like his energy, and wanted to establish their equality quickly before he was left behind by Gary's snarkiness. Unfortunately, Ash answered first before he could get a word out.

"Sorry about that, we got caught up with a bit of a problem in the Wild Area!" Ash mentioned as he explained the details of what happened with Snorlax and the Galar Particles forcing him to Gigantamax. "Wait, are you the one that Professor Cerise said we'd be meeting?"