eighteen

West and I returned from our honeymoon yesterday. It was a rather extended affair. One that I thoroughly enjoyed. I am sure West would have allowed for our time alone to continue were it not for Eloise's presentation to the Queen this morning.

West watches from our bed as I ready myself for the day.

"You really should rise from bed," I tell him.

West chuckles. "I would rather spend the whole day here."

I shake my head as I put the last pin in my hair. "That is not an option." I stand up and turn to face him. "Really this is an important day."

West sits up on the edge of the bed. "I am aware. You have only mentioned it some hundred times."

I frown as I turn back towards my mirror. "Time is ticking. We are to meet my family at their home."

Suddenly I feel arms wrapped around my waist. West has picked me up. He attaches his lips to mine. He walks us across our room and lays me down on my bed.

"You are going to make us late," I warn.

"A few minutes will cause no harm," West insists.

West and I find my family standing outside of Eloise's room. Apparently, she has locked herself inside. I am not surprised by the tactic.

"I just think it's important..." Anthony starts.

"No, no, no," Benedict starts.

"Hush," I tell them all.

Everyone starts to talk over one another. Each offering a different solution to our Eloise problem.

"Shh! Let her come out on her own," Mama insists.

"Is this the plan?"

I turn and see Daphne walking down the hallway towards us.

"Daphne, thank goodness you're here," Mama tells her.

"She's requested time," Anthony tells Daphne.

"We do not have time. Stand back," Daphne states.

Benedict moves to stop her from getting to Eloise's door. "No offense, Sister, but you are the last person she'd like to see."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Daphne asks.

"Are we sure she's in there?" Hyacinth asks.

"Of course she is in there," Francesca insists.

"Where else would she be?" Gregory asks.

"Climbed through the window, the chimney..." Benedict starts.

"Quiet! She may hear you," Mama says.

"You do realise I left my husband and child at home for this," Daphne reminds us.

"I told everyone this would happen, now we're late for the queen," Anthony says.

"Shh. I hear something," I tell him.

We all listen quietly. Anthony groans before reaching for the doorknob.

"Anthony," Mama starts.

Before Anthony can grab the door knob the door finally opens. Three maids hurry out of the room in a huff. I cannot imagine Eloise was too kind to them. She has been dreading this day. Eloise walks into view ready for her presentation. She looks as if she would rather be anywhere else.

"If one of you utters a single word..." Eloise threatens. "Let us get this over with."

"I feel sorry for those poor maids," West whispers to me.