twelve

Dearest gentle reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together finally leaving watchful eyes behind.

While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

Attending my first luncheon without Daphne is rather boring. She was always someone I could confide in. We are the same age going through life at the same speed and now suddenly she is married and gone.

"I wonder what Daphne is doing at this very moment," Hyacinth tells Mama.

"I am sure she has many new duties to attend to as duchess," Mama gestures to Eloise. "Things you should be learning for your debut."

"Making simpering conversation, pretending not to wince every time a man treads on my toes during a waltz?" Eloise offers.

"Eloise!" Mama scolds.

"I'm no good at those things, Mama. I'll only make a fool of myself," Eloise protests.

"If you devoted as much time to your deportment lessons as you did to writing in your journal, you might feel rather better," Mama reasons. "And on that subject, in preparation for your season, it is time we lowered your skirts to wear at home."

"I have no time for a visit to the modiste," Eloise insists. "I am busy. The queen herself has charged me with discovering Whistledown's identity. You would not have me cross Her Majesty, would you?"

Colin hits a glass with a knife drawing the attention of everyone. "May I have everyone's attention? I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

People start to clap for the couple.

"Did you know about this?" Anthony asks Mama.

"People are looking, dear," Mama tells him. "Congratulate the happy couple."

It is no surprise that since returning from the picnic things have been tense and quiet in the house. I feel for Colin. From what I have seen he cares deeply for Miss Thompson.

I knock on the open door to his room. "Colin."

He looks up at me from where he sits at the end of his bed. He does not say anything.

"I am not here to yell at you," I assure him. "I am here to congratulate you."

Colin smiles slightly. "Truly?"

I nod my head. "You care deeply for Miss Thompson anyone with eyes can see that. Once our family gets over the shock of your announcement, they will see it too."

"You are moving up as my favorite sister, Juliette," Colin tells me.

I laugh lightly. "I hope you remember that the next time I make a muck of things and need you to bail me out."

Eloise and I are lying across my bed.

"Does Colin truly believe himself ready for marriage?" Eloise questions.

"Is anyone ever truly ready for marriage?" I offer.

"You seem rather ready," Eloise offers.

"El, I have a confession," I tell her.

"Why do you sound like you have killed someone?" Eloise looks at me curiously. "You have not, have you?"

"No." I shake my head as I laugh. "No god no. Why was that your first thought?"