ten

It is still early as I drag myself from bed. I head down to the drawing room. Mama is sitting there looking a little tired. She must have had a marvelous evening.

"Good morning," I greet.

"Oh. Juliette. Is it not a little early for you to be up?" Mama questions.

I laugh. "Some of us did not have as marvelous a night as you."

Mama puts her head in her hand as her maids tend to her. "I did not overindulge. Truly, it was just a poor night of sleep."

"I shall fetch a glass of raw eggs and garlic, ma'am. Should be just the thing," Mrs Wilson tells her.

Daphne walks into the room.

"Are you feeling better, dearest? Perhaps I, too, caught whatever it was that sent you home early from the party. I have a terrible headache, indeed," Mama says.

"I am engaged," Daphne states.

I gasp pretending to be surprised. "Engaged?"

"Oh! Well, that is wonderful news. So, you will be a princess," Mama says.

"No," Daphne tells her.

"No?" Mama asks.

"No, I will not. Mama, I am engaged to the duke. The duke asked for my hand, and I accepted," Daphne explains.

Mama smiles for a moment. "You do not seem pleased. Whatever is wrong?"

"Oh no. No... Nothing is wrong. It simply happened so quickly. I've not had a moment to take it in. But I am overjoyed, Mama, truly," Daphne assures.

"Of course you are. You are to be a duchess!" Mama pulls Daphne into a hug. "Oh, darling! I knew there was something between you... ruse or not! Well, tell me. Tell me everything! How do you feel?"

"So in love. I'm unsure how I can be expected to wait an entire month to marry. Could we not obtain a special license to marry this week? I do not wish to lie to you... But the duke and I..." Daphne starts.

Mama cuts her off, "You do not need to tell me anything. Whatever happened between the two of you, it is all right. I know good society makes quite a fuss about such things... but when it comes to love, such things happen more frequently than one might expect. Even your father and I, we had trouble controlling our passions as well."

Mrs Wilson comes back in with a glass. "Your drink, ma'am."

"Will not be necessary, Mrs Wilson. I am feeling much improved. We have a wedding to plan in three days. My darling girl, you are getting what you always wanted. You are marrying for love," Mama muses.

I watch as Daphne passes around her room. Her mind seems to be racing at the thought of marrying the duke.

"I shall need fittings for the dress and my trousseau," Daphne states. "And, oh... I am forgetting something, surely."

"I shall take care of everything," Rose assures her.

"Just think, Daph, you shall be the duchess by Saturday." I smile slightly. "How does it feel, sister?"

"How does what feel?" Daphne questions.

"To be in love," I tell her. "To finally have the duke."

"It is something beyond words," Daphne tells me.

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials, an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.