two

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."

Lady Danbury is a most impressive woman. She is legendary. Someone to be admired.

I walk into the ball with Mama, Daphne, Anthony, Benedict, and Colin.

"They're all staring, Mother," Anthony says.

"Allow them to come to you, dearest," Mama tells her.

Lord Ambrose walks towards us and bows. "Lady Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton. Lord Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose," Mama says.

"Uh, yes. We met at your brother's levee," Lord Ambrose tells her.

"If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket," Daphne says.

Anthony interrupts. "His first and only, I believe."

"Well, in that case, let us hope his lordship has found himself a new horse," Daphne offers.

"I haven't had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose. Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last?" Anthony asks.

Lord Ambrose bows and leaves without another word.

"Ambrose is a cheat," Anthony says. "A man of any honor ensures his debts are fully paid."

"I did not realize..." Daphne starts.

"Well, how could you have done? It is the very reason I am here, Sister," Anthony tells her. "Let us take a turn about the room."

Benedict holds his arm out to me. I smile as I wrap my arm in his. Benedict and I move slowly around the room. It is strange to think that one of these men may be my husband one day.

"Anthony seems to be rather preoccupied with Daphne," I state.

"She is this season's Diamond," Benedict states. I narrow my eyes at him and he laughs. "I am joking, Juliette. Anthony can help Daphne find a husband and I shall be at your service."

I smile. "I knew you were my favorite brother."

I point at one young man. "What about him?"

Benedict shakes his head. "Not the best reputation."

I point to another young man. "And him?"

"Mr. Worthington. Second son," Benedict tells me.

"Well I suppose a second son might do," I remark. "From what I hear they tend to be everyone's favorite."

Benedict laughs. "Let us go find our siblings."

I point to another young man as we walk. "Him?"

"He is of dubious parentage," Benedict states.

"Of course," I remark. "It is much better to have your unfortunate parentage in the open."

"You know that is not what I meant, Juliette," Benedict tells me.

I laugh. "I know, Benedict. It is no surprise who my birth parents are. But our mama and papa are the only I have ever known. The only I have ever needed."

I can spot Daphne and Anthony across the room.

"Anthony! Daph!" Benedict shouts.

We approach the two and I smile.