Ch. 19 Cinder Fever

~In which there is a frozen molten  cup and a chance of cosmic calamity~

Emerging on the other side Leif doubled over, releasing my hand to brace himself against the wall. Breathing in ragged gasps his color began to normalize. Slightly but nothing too reassuring

"Oh no! What's happening?" I cried, terrified by whatever affliction had come over him. He gestured weakly for me to wait. Just then Robin came rushing into the back room where the void way had dumped us.  I had been aiming for the lobby this time, however due to the circumstances I was a bit distracted. Better than a cabinet I suppose.  I asked her to fetch Luna who should be waiting for Leif and I out at the tables. 

"I'll be alright..." he murmured, though he still appeared shaken and was still very cinder.  My mind raced with questions, but I knew interrogation could wait. For now, I simply stayed by his side until Robin came back with Luna. She who took one look at her son and instantly sent Robbin to fetch something else. I couldn't hear what she said to her. 

"It's Cinder fever," she said as she rushed over to us across the room.  Just then Robbin rushed back into the room with a cup of tea. "Thank you," Luna said as she took the cup from her and began chanting words in a language unbeknownst to me.  The tea blazed hot like molten lava as she spoke but I could see icy frost forming on the outside of teacup.  "Drink," she said as she hastily handed the cup over to her son.  He took it and began to sip. I watched relief take over him as whatever healing enchantment in the glass took effect.

The cinder color began to rescind from his hands and face as he continued to drink the healing tea. 

"What happened?"Luna asked finally. 

"I'm not exactly sure but we came through the Void Way just now and it was strange.  First he said he wanted to try portal travel but then as we were just about to step through he changed his mind for moment but then decided to go ahead at last.  Then, in the Void Way he suddenly started heating up and his coloring became like cinders burning."

"I see.  The symptoms match that of cinder fever."

"Cinder fever! Whatever for?"

She hesitated a bit seeming to struggle with her words internally before she finally said in a meticulously careful fashion, "I couldn't say for sure, however, the symptoms have subsided now.  It would seem that the tincture was enough to quell the fever."

"But don't you think it strange?" I asked looking over at Leif who was now his normal complexion once again with maybe a faint red glow still subsiding over his heart. "What could have made him fall ill so quickly?"

"It must have been the Void Way," she replied her voiced almost pained as she spoke the words.  I could see that she was extremely uncomfortable about the subject.  Leif was still steadying his breath and drinking the tea but he seemed agitated as well, although that would most likely be due to the incident at hand.  I decided not to push the matter since he seemed to be recovering well, but I was more determined than ever to uncover the dark secret that seemed to haunt him.

"Come now, let's get you seated," Robin said at last, leading us briskly to a table. Though still shaken, Leif followed her lead. I knew further interrogation could wait - for now, I was just relieved to see him on the mend. The cheery din of the tavern appeared to revive him somewhat as we settled at a table. But his portal response nagged at me...what had he been so anxious about?

Once seated at our table, I realized just how famished portal travel had actually left me. The tavern was bustling with patrons and tantalizing aromas drifted from the kitchen. When the barmaid came to take our order, we took a moment to review the menu.