Chapter 8. The Watcher

The next morning I woke up bright early to feed Seraphina and Onyx. While doing so I took a mental note to enchant the yard with a growth spell help me keep up with Serafina's feeding, as soon as I could spare a moment. Back in the cottage, I began preparing breakfast for Celeste and myself.

Not long after starting, I realize that I actually needed more food in my kitchen. Looks like today's breakfast will be better found in town. Shortly after my realization, Celeste came into the kitchen.

"Good morning," I said.

"Good morning. Thanks again for letting me stay here. It's a very comfortable cabin."

"Of course! You're always welcome here anytime. Also, as it turns out, I do not currently have any food for breakfast. Want to hop over to town? I need to stock up on supplies and we might as well get breakfast out there while we're at it."

"Good idea," Celeste said. We both got our cloaks and left to town.

"I really should have been to town sooner," I began as we walked, "but I guess this is actually the first chance I've gotten. It's hard to believe that this is only the second day since I arrived here, not counting the night I got in for that matter."

"Yeah, that is a lot for two days."

"How long do you think you can stay today before you need to be heading back to the DoveLands?"

"Hmmm... I'm not quite sure yet. I still want to take a look at your new staff. Also, I assume you'll be wanting to do some housewarming magic around your house, yes?"

"Yes," I laughed, "I've actually been compiling a list of practical magics too, starting with that door to the Void Space."

"You have a Void Way? I saw that strange door in the hallway, but I didn't dare to think that was what it could be. Besides, it was locked when I tried the knob. Curiosity must have gotten the best of me."

"I can hardly blame you, but what did you say? Something about avoiding day?"

"A Void Way. It is what you have in your house then, I'm certain of it if you said it leads to an empty space. It is a doorway to anywhere. You can go from any door to another door, absolutely anywhere. It can even create a door on the other end if need be. It's all up to the will of the one who enchants it."

"Wow! I can't believe it."

"We can work on it too if you like. It's your door of course, but I'd love to help. Void Ways are Impossibly rare. I can also help with your house warming spells. Might as well. What do you say? Why not call it a day?"

"Are you sure you have the time? Won't your parents be worried about you?"

"No, not once I send them a message by canary. I can do that in town at the postal stop. Honestly, what's one more day?"

"Oh, well in that case, you're welcome to stay with me of course. Let's go for it! Thanks for all your help by the way. I really needed a friend around these parts."

Celeste smiled and we continued on to find a place to stop for breakfast. In Forest Falls, we found ourselves at a café by the name "The Bellowing Pot". We went inside and were swiftly seated by the bar keeper outdoors on the balcony. It overlooked a stream surrounded by trees and sat up high among trees.