Chapter 2 ~ The rabbit trail ends and another begins

...In which a powerful new spell is cast and a princess' life is altered....

The clock struck 9 PM and my work had begun. I grabbed my black cloak off of my coat rack, swung it about my shoulders, and dashed off into the night. With yet another stealthy departure, I snuck down the hallway of the west quarter sticking to the shadows. These halls were less traveled at any time of day but even less so at these hours.  Perfect. 

I had managed to successfully sneak into the old abandoned laboratory yet again

I had managed to successfully sneak into the old abandoned laboratory yet again.  My parents, mistakenly of course, believed they could hide its existence from me by covering the halls that led to it in a weighty tapestry. Mistaken indeed. The old, Abandoned lab was among one of my favorite rooms in the entire palace rivaled only by the Grand Library and, of course, the secret rooms within it that seemingly no one knew of.  None of these being secret to me, although I pretended they were, as long as it suited me to do so.

Once inside the lab, I began gathering my ingredients. I placed my spell book on the table top along with the Luminous Purple Posey flower neatly pressed between the pages.  I began my work. First order of business was to extract the magic from the Posey. The lab had everything I needed to do this. I dusted my hands on my navy skirts and open up my book. Page 13. Drawing a deep breath I carefully removed the flower.  It glowed with a faint purple aura meaning that the full moon magic was now in effect. "Excellent" I said and placed it into a small vessel and began to pour glistening, silver moon water over it until it was fully submerged.

There was a gentle tinkling sound, like the music of bells ringing. Fairy magic. 

When the moon magic of the water and the fairy magic of the flower met a created a song. "How lovely," I thought out loud to myself. Just then I heard a sharp rustling sound from the shadowy corner of the room. 

"Revo lumo magnus!" I said and a lantern in the corner lit. I saw nothing, then my cat Onyx came slinking out from beneath a table. He looked at me meaningfully  with his big yellow eyes. He always accompanied me during spell work. His black coat broken by a delicate silver chain lined with rubies and our royal house symbol about his neck. 

"Onyx!" I exclaimed, "you scared me! I almost over poured my precious moon water from the moon lake! You know how precious it is!"  He waltzed over and sat on the oak table next to the water pitcher and stared at his reflection. I had kept it in a silver pitcher and hidden it in my lavender bush in my greenhouse. No one tended to my greenhouse. I wouldn't allow it. I enjoyed growing many a sort of magical plant life in the t. I only trusted Chester to help me. He had all the makings of a powerful young wizard and I wanted to help him grow.

Chester was a young boy of age 10 whom I had met one day when I was in town buying linens at a tradeshow for my secret renovation of my laboratory. We became fast friends when he helped me escape my brother Leonard, and his pernicious, opportunistic girlfriend, Hydrangea. I didn't want to be discovered by them at all.