𝟢𝟢𝟪. 𝗉𝗈𝗈𝗅 𝗍𝖺𝗅𝗄

juniper sighed loudly as she fell back onto her cushions. she looked at charley who was sitting with her, reading.

he looked at her and raised an eyebrow. she pursed her lips and he closed the book.

"what's wrong?" he asked.

"do you ever think he's gonna make a move?" she frowned.

charley laughed. "june, he's made so many moves."

"yeah, but like, not big enough ones!" she smiled.

"well, maybe you should make a move." he poked her arm.

"i have!" she laughed.

"yeah, but like, not big enough ones." he mocked her as they both laughed.

"hey, you wanna go to the pool?" she stood up and walked over to her clothing shelves.

"you just wanna go because wally said he might go later."

"yes and he told me i should go. besides, i love swimming!" she smiled.

charley rolled his eyes as juniper looked through a couple swimsuits she had stolen from living students.

she found a light green bikini with little white flowers on it.

charley stepped out so she could get changed.

she exited her room with the bikini on and little jean shorts on.

"let's go find some towels and then go." she smiled.

__________________

the two entered the pool room and spotted wally and rhonda.

wally was in only swim trunks, on top of a pool floaty with sunglasses and a drink in his hand.

rhonda was sitting on the edge, her jeans rolled up, so she could but her feet in the water.

they all said hi as charley laid down on top of the bleachers.

juniper put the towels down, took her shorts off, and jumped in the water.

wally laughed as he got slightly splashed.

she swam up and to the side of his floaty.

"hi." he said, softly with a smile.

"hi." she smiled back, sweetly.

"easy with the Coppertone, hun." rhonda said, looking back at charley, who took the bottle and began applying it to himself.

"yeah, that bottle's gotta last her another 60 years." wally joked, taking another sip of his drink.

rhonda kicked her foot in his direction, splashing water on him and juniper.

june laughed and swam under wally's floaty and over to rhonda.

"ah, i love this smell." charley breathed. "coconut, verbena. i mean you close your eyes and you could be anywhere. miami, aruba..."

"yeah, and then you open them and there's a band-aid floating in the surf." rhonda said, flatly.

"what?" juniper eyes went wide as she looked around.

"where? ew! oh my god! ew!" she turned back to pool wall and jumped up and out of the water.

rhonda and wally laughed as she quickly went to the bleachers and grabbed a towel.

"i miss a good sunburn." charley closed his eyes and june wrapped herself in her towel.

"i miss debbie gibson." wally stated.

"i miss the vampire diaries." juniper frowned.

rhonda made a face at wally and juniper.

"what?" they both asked.

"i thought we were talking about stuff that we missed." wally shrugged.

"me too."

"hey, you." charley spoke and juniper turned to see maddie.

"hey, mad." she smiled.

"where you been?" charley sat up as she sat down.

maddie's eyes were fixed on the swim captain.

juniper followed her gaze.

"maddie?" charley asked, taking his sunglasses off and looking in that direction as well.

"friend of yours?" he asked, scooting closer to her.

"hardly." maddie scoffed.

juniper put her towel down and sat down next to rhonda, sticking her feet in the pool as well.

"ah, yes, the side piece. almost didn't recognize her without her pompoms." charley laughed.

"ok. so you think that she helped your ex take you out?" wally asked and june winced.

"i'm guessing she came up the whole plan herself. lady macbeth used your plus one as a tool." rhonda pointed her lollipop on her direction.

juniper reached for rhonda drink and she handed it to her.

"i don't know... is she really that type of person?" juniper asked before taking a sip.

someone walked passed them, saying hi to someone else.

charley turned and watched him, almost in awe.

juniper smiled at him as rhonda snickered.

"dial it down. just because you smell like an almond joy, doesn't mean he knows you're here." she teased.

"that's mr. figueroa. emilio. he was charley's crush when they were still students here. he sponsors the LG...T-?" wally tried explained and looked at rhonda and juniper for help.

"B." the two girls stated.

"BTQ club and charley never misses a meeting." wally laughed, taking another sip from his drink.

"i only go for the refreshments. and- you know what? you're one to talk." charley looked to maddie then back at wally.

"oh, here it goes." wally sighed.

"i mean, no, you hit the gym, what, three times a day to impress some boneheads who only know you as a name on a scoreboard." charley scoffed as juniper shook her head with a smile.

"his parents donated a new one." juniper explained.

"after he checked out on the 50-yard line." rhonda added.

"five. it was the five-yard line, and i did not 'check out', ok? i was crushed. maddie be careful who you get you get your intel from, all right?"

juniper laughed and decided to watch the girls swimming laps in the pool.

she watched as one swam right into the pool wall, loudly smacking her head.

she gasped as the girls limp body began to float up.

"ava!" the swim captain shouted and dove into the water, fast my swimming to the girl.

everyone watched know, as she and the other teammates pulled her out of the water.

juniper and her friends stood up, walking closer to the scene.

they all watched as the swim captain gave the gave the girl cpr.

a familiar feeling washed over all of them, including maddie.

a feeling that maybe, they'd have another student joining them.

they felt it.

she was getting closer and closer to crossing the line between life and death.

until she wasn't.

she began coughing water and turned onto her side.

another teacher rushed in, trying to help her.

wally, juniper, charley, and rhonda turned and went back to their spot.

juniper felt mixed feelings of disappointment and relief.

maddie stood and continued watching.