I

I blinked as I regained consciousness. I had hit my head hard, or had someone hit me? Then I realised I was holding a bloody knife in my hand. 

As I turned, I saw beside me laid a man in his thirties, blood pouring out from the wound in his stomach. I was bewildered, where was I? Who is that man beside me? Why do I have this knife with me? These questions fogged my mind.

 I was feeling dizzy and was disgusted by the sight of blood when memories of what had transpired here started pouring into my mind. But it was not me, they were not my memories, I have not seen this man in the entirety of my twenty years of life...nor do I know the person whose memories were flooding my mind. Who is it?

Just then I noticed a flow of blood gushing out of where the knife penetrated in my stomach. I was feeling nauseous, I tried to keep my eyes open but I couldn't, I tried my best but at last, I had to give in to a deep slumber. 

                                                                                              ★★★★

 I opened my eyes slowly as I regained consciousness...I saw the ceiling above me and then around me, I was not familiar with the settings. Where was I? What had happened? Why am I wearing this goddamn gown when I am already so discomforted.

 As I looked around I saw someone sitting on the chair beside me reading a book. He was a man in his twenties, his hair as black as a raven and his demeanour as grim as the incident that transpired before.

 He might have caught that I was awake, as he turned towards me and said. "For the last time Evelyn, can you not bring troubles for me." There was no anger in the tone...it was concern. 

'Evelyn? Who is Evelyn? Is there some sort of filming that's going on? I don't remember being part of any theatre club. Is this a setup? What on earth is happening?'

 I was deep in my thoughts when a servant, I guess had come, bringing a glass of water.

 The man from before stood up took the water from her and came forward and as he was handing me the glass said, "I thought you were dead. I thought that I had lost my only remaining family. I beg of you do not do this again." 

'Family?'

 "umm...I'm sorry but do I know you...or rather do you know me? You see I don't remember being acquainted to you."

 I looked around trying to remember how I ended up in this whole fiasco. But everything seemed so realistic to be just a filming studio for a theatre club, I mean there are no cameras too...besides the way this man spoke is also different. His English is way too refined and classy. And he does not even look Indian.

When no replies came I decided to be upfront with my doubts and tried sitting on my bed, but as I tried to sit, a horrible pain struck me and I saw my hands covered with bandages and then I remembered what I witnessed before I lost consciousness. 

The pain was so terrible and unbearable that tears flowed through my eyes. 

What on earth happened to me? Was I kidnapped by this weird guy, claiming to be my brother, when this was the first time we had met? 

 The man looked at me in surprise and shock, he was not sure what had happened. He waited for a moment and then shouted "Call the doctor". 

For an hour there was absolute chaos in the room. The doctor, who was an old man, came and he told the man that I might have lost my memories out of shock and that it was temporary. 

'Lost my memories? Old Man, I remember everything. What I don't remember is the this guy you call 'Your grace'.

He had told the 'your grace' guy that, I would recover if I change the air...and go someplace new. For god sake, I was already in someplace new. 

Few minutes later everyone was asked to leave the room, and what remained in this 'hall' of a room was me and my newfound brother.

I saw him drawing the curtains of my room and I saw a dagger lying on the table there, I stood up...though with a bit of difficulty and grabbed it and sneaked towards where he was standing.

As he turned sensing my presence, I held the dagger pointing at his neck, and yelled with all the power I had, "Oh mister look, I don't know what kind of games you are playing, but I tell you that you are not going anywhere with this."

"Kidnapping is a crime, and it is punishable by law, it doesn't matter whether you are a foreigner. You don't know who I am. I hold the power to destroy you. So tell me at once where am I and who are you?" My hands trembling with fear looking at his gaze which was as piercing as the deep blue sea.

'Well as a matter of fact I don't hold any power...but I could very well bluff.'

"Evelyn", he said in his ever-calming tone but it changed the moment I looked at him, "I am sorry, I should have not left your side that time, and this all may not have happened. You losing your memories." He said with a trembling voice, as if on the verge of crying. 

"I do not know any Evelyn you speak of, I am not Evelyn, I am--" I said stopping midway as I found myself looking at the mirror on my left. 

'Who the hell is this girl? What kind of fever dream is this? '

I dropped the dagger I was holding and flopped to the ground. The man rushed towards me, worries evident on his face. 

"Evelyn, What happened Evelyn?"

"Get out"

"HUH?"

"I said get the hell out", he flinched and left the room, closing the door behind him.