Frozen in place!

I don't really know what I was honestly thinking but not this. After I got dressed and made some preparations, it was time to face the queen and to be quite frank, I dreaded this moment since I knew how shrewd this woman was. Nonetheless I was here right in front of her with a present. Callisto told me not to worry about the present but I still decided to get something. Who knows what he had prepared for her. So in the end, I asked the maids if I could get to the kitchen and made a nice cake for her. I knew very well what cakes they had in this century but nothing could beat a good cake that was not too sweet and nicely decorated. Besides I didn't really had anything else to give her at all.

Oh well... I sure hoped that I could at least win her over for this event. Love comes and goes through the stomach, right?

Queen: Penelope Eckhart... nice to see that you could make it.

Me: I am honored for the invitation your majesty. 

I bowed before the queen as it was nothing since this was sheer etiquette but to be honest, I hated every single moment here. The smile I wore was nothing but a facade since I had to smile. If I wouldn't smile, I would probably glare at her since I knew that she was the most dangerous woman there was. Probably also the one who will be responsible for my death if I wouldn't be careful.

Me: I prepared a gift. I hope it is to your liking. 

The maid who was actually carrying the cake, brought it over to the queen.

Me: It is called a Strawberry cheese cake. I made it myself. Due to the short notice, I wasn't able to present anything else.

Queen: I don't need anything but I am surprised to see that a noble such as yourself knows how to do the work of our kitchen maids. What a handy wife you will be.

So you telling me to know my place since I am basically a commoner... an adoptive daughter which was also thrown away by the duchy.... I get it...

Me: Oh my but I wouldn't be as compatible as you, your highness. 

Queen: Of course not.

Me: Indeed, what great tactics you possess aiding your son before your husband. Oh what true love that is.

I mispoke on purpose but who cares! Not as if I was letting her actually do anything to me. 

Within a minute, the cake including the whole table was flipped by a maid which the queen tripped. It was funny to see this all happening but right in that time, Callisto came over to us and hugged me from behind.

Callisto: It seems you need some better maids, mother.

Queen: It does seem this way.

Me: Oh dear, the cake that I made as a present is now completly ruined..... what should we do?

Callisto: Good that I brought another present with me then.

Me: Huh?

Callisto: Did you forget already? This is what you should have brought her in the first place.

Some more maids came in every single one had a tablet in their hand with something on it. It was covered and I was kinda very curious about it. At the same time however, I started to have a bad feeling about this. There was only a couple of things we were talking in the morning about. One was to skin and use the blood of the maid as a present. It couldn't be that he indeed went through with this....

Callisto: Please accept this as our gift.

This man was definitely dangerous to my heart because one single kiss on my check wanted me to turn around and kiss him more but right now was not the right place nor time for this. When the maids came closer, the queen stood up to take the cover down but when she did with the first one, we all were staring at a red liquid which could only be described as blood. 

Callisto: I thought I'll make a present out of the surprise you have send me an hour ago.

Oh shit...

Is this actually....

She tried to kill him and he....

Fuck...

It was all the queen needed to see before turning towards us quite angrily. Still this was not the end and so Callisto went over to reveal everything else. There was everything there. A fan made out of human skin, more blood, then some flowers as red as the blood besides it icluding some petals on the side mixed with it... and then the last one was a meal but it was a human head with salad topped around it. 

Me: Oh my how delicious this looks like.

I definitely was insane for saying this.

Callisto: You think so as well.

Me: Yes my dear. Though... you should have made a nice soupe and used the bone mark for it. That would be better.... I guess, I need to teach you a bit when it comes to cooking.

Callisto: It seems that way.

Alright, if the people around us didn't had shivers running down their spine, then now they did because next thing I did was grab Callisto by strap around his upper body which was holding the cape in place and started dragging him away with just one sentence.

Me: Then let's go and do this now. It is important to prepare a propper gift. It seemed we failed with that.... I wonder if we should invite her to a meal prepared by us?

Callisto: Shall we?

Me: Oh my... but what about all the ingredients?

Callisto: There are enough servants to spare around us.

Me: Then it's decided.

With that, we got out of that situation leaving everyone else speechless and kind of frozen in place.