Chapter Six: Imhotep

I sat down at the fire smelling the horrid food they were cooking, Beni sat next to Rick, smiling about the food that was making others gag.
I giggled at them, making them smile at me when Jonathan came over with his noise crinkled.

"What is that god awful smell? It smells like our smelly friend the warden?"

Rick and Beni look at each other with a smile full of mischief before looking at Jonathan and replying.

"Lizards guts"

Jonathan gagged a little before sitting down when we saw Evelyn walking our way when she saw Doctor Chamberlain trying to open the book of the dead and then getting a smug look on her face.

"I believe you need a key to open that book."

He looks up at Evelyn and then holds the book closer to himself before she carries on. Then we are joined by Henderson, Burns, and Daniels as they seem smug.

"Say, O'Connell, what do you think these babies'll fetch back home?"

"We hear you boys found yourselves a nice, gooey mummy. Congratulations."

"If you dry that fellow out, you might be able to sell him for firewood."

I looked at them when I lifted up my bag, they looked over at me when I pulled out some gold jewelry making Jonathan look on in greed and the Americans look at me in shock as I smirked at them.
They knew if anyone could find gold, it was me, and this just proved it.

"Try harder, gentlemen."

I said with a smug tone, making Rick and Beni chuckle before I turned to see Evelyn join us.

"Look what I found."

She said, excited. I saw Rick turn to Beni with a look before speaking.

"You're in her seat........Now!"

"Yup."

I could see Beni shoot up like his arse was on fire. He saw a space next to me and sat down. I gave him some of the ancient jewellery.

"Keep it."

I said with a smile. He gave me a small smile back and nodded, He would not turn down free money. I turned to see Evelyn showing what she had found.

"Scarab skeletons, flesh-eaters.
I found them inside our friend's coffin.
They can stay alive for years feasting on the flesh of a corpse.
Unfortunately for our friend, he was still alive when they started eating him."

"So somebody threw these in with our guy, and then they slowly ate him alive?"

"Very slowly."

She said it with a small smile, and I just fidgeted slightly, not liking the reminder.

"He certainly wasn't as popular fellow when they planted him, was he?"

"Well, he probably got a little too frisky with the pharaoh's daughter."

"Or his mistress"

I said off the top of my head, making a few people looking at me, but I just shrugged.

"Well, according to my readings, our friend suffered the Hom-Dai, the worst of all Ancient Egyptian curses, one reserved only for the most evil of blasphemers.
In my research, I've never heard of this curse having actually been performed."

"That bad, huh?"

"Yes, well, they..."

"They never used it because they feared it so."