019 / The Mommy Issues Catch Up To Me

( Chapter Nineteen ━━━ Kept Me Safe And Sound At Night ! )

Fifteen minutes passed before we were back on the streets of Manhattan. Percy was in a full on trance. I knew he was probably still in shock from seeing our father for the first time and now finding out that his mom is back.

"Do you want me to go back to camp so you can see your mom by yourself?" I asked, not comfortable leaving him alone, but I knew he would be fine with his mom.

Percy looked up at me. After a few moments of silence, he shook his head. "I want you to meet her," he said.

I smiled at him as he waved down a taxi that we took to his mom's apartment. We rang the doorbell when we reached the right one and in only a few moments, there she was. She smelled of peppermint and licorice. She was beautiful.

   "Percy! Oh, thank goodness! Oh, my baby!" Sally exclaimed, squeezing her boy tightly.

   I would have been lying if I had said that my eyes weren't a little bit clouded with welling tears. I forced them back. I was not going to cry in front of my brother's mom the first time meeting her. She explained to her son that she had shown up at the apartment that morning and that she didn't remember anything about the Minotaur. I was kind of thankful she hadn't acknowledged me yet. I guessed it would be kind of awkward to meet your son's half-sister when she wasn't yours to begin with.

   "Oh, who's this, Percy?" his mother asked and I found myself staring into the beautiful blue eyes of Sally Jackson. My breath caught in my throat as Percy gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me up a bit.

   He gave his mother a small smile and looked between the two of us. "Mom, this is going to sound crazy, but this is Amara. She's my sister."

   "Poseidon kid," I added softly and she simply nodded.

   She gave me the warmest smile that made my heart flutter. "It's very nice to meet you, Amara. I hope I get to know you better."

   "It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Jackson," I told her.

   She shook her head a bit. "Sally is fine, Amara."

   I nodded, a small smile playing on my lips as I looked between the Jackson's. My smile faded quick when a rude voice echoed in my ears. "Hey, Sally! That meat loaf done yet or what?"

   Sally closed her eyes and shook her head. "He isn't going to be happy to see you, Percy. The store got half a million phone calls today from Los Angeles. . . something about free appliances."