013 / Not A Normal Hotel And Casino

( Chapter Thirteen ━━━ Some And Now None Of You ! )

For once in my life, I had no nightmares. No dreams of the gods even entered my mind. It was the best sleep I had gotten since I had probably arrived at camp. The lovely sleep I was enveloped in was ruined by my newfound friend. I was already about to quit our friendship.

   "Amara, the truck stopped," Colton told me as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. "They're probably coming to check on the animals."

   "Hide!" Annabeth warned, securing her Yankees cap on her head. Easy enough. The rest of us hid behind feed sacks, hoping we looking like a bunch of turnips. The doors to the rig opened.

   Hearing the men talk horribly to the animals made me tense, as did Grover. Unlike me, he looked almost murderous. A series of knocks came from outside the rig, drawing the men out. We got out from our hiding spot and I swore I heard the zebra talk to Percy and I.

   Percy grabbed Riptide and slashed the lock on the zebra's cage. The animal burst out, turning to my brother. The zebra bowed. Thank you, lord.

   From the truck, we watched the men—Eddie and Maurice—chase the zebra. A few police men were running after them, yelling about a permit. Percy cut the other locks with his sword, leaving us alone in the rig as the animals escaped.

   "I placed a saytr's sanctuary on them," Grover told us.

   "What does that mean?" Percy questioned.

   Grover sighed. "It means they'll reach the wild safely," he explained. "They'll find whatever they need until they can find a safe place to live."

   "Sounds nice," Colton said.

   "Yeah, why can't you place a blessing like that on us?" my brother asked.

   Grover shook his head. "It only works on wild animals."

   "So it would only affect Percy," Annabeth chimed.

   I grinned softly, resting my elbow on Colton's shoulder despite our slight height difference. "Don't forget about Colton."

   Colton glanced at me, pushing my elbow off of his shoulder. We stumbled out of the rig into the desert afternoon. It was a hundred and ten degrees, but luckily, no one was paying attention to how bad we looked. They were all too busy gawking at the wild animals roaming around.

   We passed the MGM and the Monte Carlo. The pyramids, a pirate ship, and a small replica of the Stature of Liberty caught my eye as we walked. Somewhere along the way, we must've taken a wrong turn because we found ourselves at a dead end. The five of us stood in front of the Lotus Hotel and Casino.