004 / We Are Offered A Quest

( Chapter Four ━━━ The Walls Were Closed On Me ! )

The morning after Percy had been claimed by Poseidon, Chiron moved him to cabin three. Both of us had plenty of space to ourselves, but we still had each other which was something.

Campers had began to ostracize him. I understood how that felt since only a few spoke to me anyway. No one mentioned the hellhound which made the feeling of being alone worse. We could be left out together though. The two of us got along and close quickly. It wasn't much of a surprise since we shared a cabin, I trained him with Luke, and we had to sit and eat dinner together.

   Colton had even started to keep his distance. I mean, it didn't bother me, it was just odd. I would see him looking at me even as I just walked through camp though. It was as if he wanted to come over and annoy me like usual, but he wouldn't.

Someone at camp definitely had a serious problem with Percy. One night after dinner, the two of us walked into the cabin to find a copy of a mortal newspaper inside. It was opened to the Metro page of the New York Daily News. I read the headline.

BOY AND MOTHER STILL MISSING AFTER
FREAK CAR ACCIDENT
BY EILEEN SMYTHE

I didn't read the article. I sat on my bunk, waiting for Percy to finish it. He sat with the paper in his hands for nearly an hour. His dyslexia was probably getting worse the more he read it. After he was done, he wadded up the paper and threw it away.

"Are you okay?" I asked gently, trying not to pry too much into his life if he didn't want to tell me anything.

   He shrugged, crossing his legs under him as he sat on his bunk. "My stepdad was just talking about my mom and I to press. He wants to look good," he said, the sound of defeat in his voice.

   I frowned slightly. "What's your mom like?" I questioned.

   His eyes seemed to brighten a bit at my question and he wore a soft smile. "She was the best. The best cook, baker. She made these blue chocolate chip cookies that just feel like a warm hug. She gave good hugs too."

   I found myself smiling a bit. "Blue cookies? That sounds fun."

   "She made them blue because it's my favorite color and also because my stepdad hates it," he explained. The two of us fell quiet before he broke it again only a couple seconds later. "What about you? Your mom?"

   I chewed on the inside of my lip, not knowing how to answer his question. "My mom was not like yours," I told him vaguely. "She didn't like me."