006 / Nothing Bad About Garden Gnomes, Right?

( Chapter Six ━━━ Variation Of The Truth ! )

The Hudson smelled terrible. We were walking as quickly as we could away from the wreckage of the bus we had just ruined. Either way, someone had snapped a picture of Percy and I (my brother had confirmed) before we could recap our swords. Perfect.

I fell in line next to Colton, the three twelve year olds in front of us. Percy and Annabeth were in a tiff about Percy jumping into the fight since he could have been safe. Eventually, they stopped, finally having a civil conversation.

There was still a pain in my back from when one of the Furies got me with her whip. The rain had helped a bit, but it hadn't healed all the way yet. Not even the ambrosia I had nibbled on had helped much.

"Um," I started to say, talking before thinking. Colton glanced at me, trying not to trip or run into anything in the dark woods. "Thanks back at the bus. Even if your plan was shit and didn't work."

Even in the darkness, I saw him smile a bit. "I thought you were going soft on me, water girl."

   "You wish," I teased. I swear he chuckled a bit under his breath, but I could have been imagining it.

   The silence that fell over us was quickly interrupted by high-pitched toot-toot, like an animal was being tortured.

   "They work!" Grover exclaimed, holding up his reed pipes. "If I could remember a 'find path' song..."

   He played a few notes and I furrowed my brows. "Is that Hilary Duff?" I asked and Grover just looked at me as if I offended him.

   Hearing the sound of a smack and a groan made me stop, Colton started laughing. "Shut up, Colton," Percy hissed from where he laid on the forest floor. I stepped forward, trying to find my brother. Another groan fell from his lips as I stepped on what I thought was a stick. I guess not. "Who just stepped on my hand?"

   "My bad, I'm sorry," I said quickly, finding his hand and helping him up.

He glared back at Colton who was trying to stop laughing. "It wasn't that funny."

"I can assure you that it was," Colton told him.

I shook my head. "Let's go," I told the son of Ares and began following Annabeth and Grover.

   As we walked, the smell of burgers wafted into my nostrils, making my mouth water. It had been way too long since I'd had junk food. Luke used to try and sneak some into camp, but it stopped when Mr. D himself caught him. Red and blue neon lights were shining brighter as the trees became sparse.