Chapter 30: Eye of the Storm

About the same time their group finally arrives back at camp, a cluster of emergency vehicles are parking in the clearing and firefighting helicopters are pouring water over the forest.

Aizawa, Vlad, Mandalay, and Tiger are directing students, making sure everyone is accounted for and prioritizing who's going to the hospital first versus who can wait for the next set of ambulances. While they do that, police shove a total of three bound villains into a prison truck.

Aizawa sees their group arrive and rushes over. "Alright, who's hurt?"

Ryumi taps Shoto's shoulder, asking to be let down to stand on her own. She's pretty sure she can manage it. "Minor lacerations on Ochaco, Tsu, and Shoji. Potential poisoning for him..." She points to the class B boy. "Serious injury for Midoriya, of course."

"And Ryumi." Shoto interrupts, as though he's afraid she would skip over it.

She wasn't going to, she was just pausing for a mental count.

Aizawa looks over their group, his gaze honing in on Shoto. "And you, Todoroki?"

"Huh?"

Ryumi looks at him, seeing his formerly white shirt painted mostly red on the front, she's hardly surprised. "Ah, sensei... That's my blood, not his."

Aizawa frowns, but he nods. "You and Midoriya are getting seen to first, then." He peers around behind the group, and then the question they've been dreading arrives.

"Where's Bakugo?"

Nobody has an answer for him. Their eyes all search the forest floor for one, as if the trampled blades of grass could provide it instead.

Aizawa sighs. Obviously he knows what that means. He runs a hand nervously through his hair, and waves for the group to follow him and rejoin the others waiting for treatment and transport.

They'll all be going to the hospital that night, even those who are basically okay. It's just going to take a little while to move everyone.

When Ryumi's turn comes, she finally parts with Shoto - reluctantly, of course. She agrees to it only thanks to the knowledge that the danger has passed.

Still, as they pull away she can't help but notice him standing at the edge of the group, watching sadly as she leaves.

~~~

It's been a couple hours now.

Shoto steps out the hospital doors into the cool night air. It's reasonably quiet out here, though he can faintly make out the plumes of smoke still hanging in the sky.

One of the officers guarding the entrance turns his way. "Hey, son. Don't go wandering too far."

Shoto shakes his head. "I just want some fresh air. I won't be long."

The officer nods, but he keeps glancing toward the boy while he lingers near the flowerbeds.

It's partially the air, and partially that he just wants some time to himself. To think. Or at least to get away from the endless questions. The police have a job to do, and his classmates mean well, but he's sick of talking about it. Sick of the constant replaying of his failures.

He leans back against the brick facade and closes his eyes. His right hand finds her scale in his pocket, and he idly brushes his thumb over the smooth surface while focusing on his breathing.

It isn't as comforting as it usually is, but it still helps a bit.

What am I going to do...? She was hurt because of me.