Chapter 18: The Hosu Incident

It's the third straight day of uneventful patrols for the pair training in Hosu. It's getting to be late again, and they're planning on a short break for dinner on the next pass by the office.

"Just another day of patrolling. I think we'll go through Kyoto today too, before we head back. Sorry it isn't more exciting." Manual comments with a gentle, slightly apologetic smile. "This is part of the job sometimes though. Not every day is glamorous or thrilling... I should probably show you the paperwork side of things too, but I might put you two to sleep at this rate."

Iida turns, looking back and forth. "No. It's actually... better this way."

"Peaceful is the goal... but I'm sure you were hoping for a little more than just touring the city." Manual suddenly looks back over his shoulder at Ryumi. "Hey, Tempest. Why don't you take a lap of the block from the air and report back?"

Ryumi returns a curious glance, but she doesn't argue. "Of course." She steps away from the others and takes off with a flurry of wingbeats. She makes a slow circle above, weaving between the buildings and watching for trouble.

As with the last two days, there's none.

Something else catches her eye from up here, though. In the fading light, she can just make out the faint outline of the full moon. She frowns. Most people would call it superstition, but those close to emergency responders know there's some grain of empirical truth to the notion that bad things tend to happen on the night of the full moon.

It has her a little on edge when she flaps back over to rejoin the pair walking below. Not that she needed something else unsettling her thoughts, between Iida's strange behavior and her concern for Shoto...

"...Another reason why you'd choose my agency. Uh, I mean... don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that you did!" Manual changes the topic as he spies Ryumi returning to them. "Both of you. I never imagined I'd have two UA students interning..." He pauses as she lands nearby. "Catch sight of anything?"

She shrugs, shifting her wings as she resettles on the ground. "Nah. All quiet around this area."

"Great! Let's keep going so we can get dinner." Manual waves for the two to get moving.

Iida is a little slow to start, keeping his head down. His left hand curls into a fist.

~~~

The three of them are just finishing up eating, when an alarm starts blaring from the main room.

Manual drops his takeout box onto the break room table, chopsticks still poking out of it, and rushes out to see what's happening. Ryumi and Iida share a look and quickly dash out to follow him. In their haste, a couple of the folding chairs topple over.

Red dots flash over the map of the city on the TV screen. Iida taps on one, and the box that pops up reads 'unknown attacker'. Both kids look to Manual.

He's standing at the desk, listening to a phone call. "What did you say? Villains appeared? Don't worry. I can head there right now." He holds his hand over the microphone. "Go get ready. Something's happening. We're moving out in five."

They both nod and rush for the locker rooms to change back into their costumes.

As Ryumi steps into her costume, her phone buzzes from where she left it atop the bench. She checks the clock. There's time enough for her to look.

It's Shoto.

Are you okay? Do you know what's going on?

yeah. don't know yet, but we're going out any minute now.

...He says there was a sighting. The hero killer.