Chapter 24: Final Exams, part 2

"It's our turn now. Let's go." Shoto waves his partner forward as he starts in toward the center of the residential area that was prepared for their test.

Yaoyorozu seems distracted though, as she doesn't immediately follow.

He stops after just a few paces. "Yaoyorozu."

She gasps, caught completely off guard. He wants to trust in her abilities, but this certainly isn't a good start.

"What's wrong? Are you nervous?" He does his best to play dumb, but he's thinking about what Ryumi said in the back of his mind.

Yaoyorozu shakes her head. "Oh. No."

"It's okay. With our opponent, I don't blame you." He offers, an effort to be diplomatic. "Don't worry. I have a plan in mind for us."

Really, he's a bit worried himself. But he's been training, and not just his quirk. I bet she's watching... Midoriya too. He glances over his shoulder. I won't let them down.

"Uh..." Yaoyorozu begins, but she's cut off by the buzzer.

"Team Todoroki and Yaoyorozu. Practical exam. Ready? Go." The announcer proclaims, and the hunt is on.

Ryumi takes a half step closer to the monitors. "Good luck guys... you got this." She mumbles, not realizing she says it out loud.

Ochaco shares a look and a smile with the other two, but Ryumi barely registers it.

Shoto takes off at a sprint, tucking into an alley with his teammate running just behind. "Yaoyorozu! Listen, I want you to keep making small objects. It doesn't matter what. We'll know sensei is nearby if you suddenly can't. This test is all about who finds who first. Once we spot him, I'll draw him away. Then you can make a run for the escape gate and win this thing for us. We'll stick together until then." When she doesn't reply right away, he risks a glance back at her. "C'mon, start making things."

"Sure. No problem." She quietly nods and starts making small wooden dolls as they run.

"I know I said 'anything,' but what are those?" He asks, with another brief look back.

Yaoyorozu tucks the dolls into her belt as they form. "They're matryoshka. Russian nesting dolls."

Shoto shrugs. He's never heard of them, but whatever's easiest for her is fine. Just something to give them an early notice. "Right. Just let me know if you notice your quirk acting strangely at all." A faint crystalline fog gathers around his right hand - just in case sensei decides to cut his power first instead.

"I'm not surprised, Todoroki..." She comments, as the pair slow their pace. "I'd expect nothing less."

"What do you mean?" He's genuinely not sure what to make of that.

"You were able to come up with a strategy against Aizawa sensei just like that. Always figuring out the best approach with your judgement..." She trails off.

"...It's nothing special." For a moment, he debates saying how difficult he finds battling against Ryumi at times, especially without his power. But won't she just think I'm saying I'd prefer Ryumi as my partner then?

Of course he actually would - but it makes sense that she was placed elsewhere. Her strength in hand to hand doesn't leave her at the same disadvantage against Aizawa. Maybe she couldn't use her enhancements, but he's perfectly aware of how dangerous she can be even without them.

Yaoyorozu continues before he can figure out what else to say. "Nothing special? ...Really?" She frowns. "We both got into UA on special recommendation. We had the same starting point. Even Ryumi..." She's getting distracted again, her gaze lowered to the pavement. "But when it comes to the practical skills that a hero needs, I still haven't really managed to do anything that stands out. It was your leadership and Ryumi's strength that got me through the cavalry battle. Then when it was my turn to actually fight, Tokoyami knocked me out of the tournament before I could do anything..."