Chapter 11: Round One, Fight!

As final preparations finish up, Mic's voice echoes out over the empty field, now with a large concrete battle arena constructed in the center. "Thank you, Cementoss!"

Cementoss bows and starts to clean up his materials.

Mic stands and slams his desk. "Hey, sports fans. Are you ready?! After all the action you've already witnessed, it's time for the real battles to begin! Can you feel the excitement? Our competitors have been through hell to get here! And now they're on their own - sometimes, heroes only have themselves to rely on! Even if you're not a hero, this saying holds true! You know it: heart, skill, strength, wisdom, and courage! They'll have to use all of these things to ride to the top and show us their best!"

Up in the stands, most of the remaining competitors and their classmates are in assigned sections for their individual classes. In 1-A's section, most of the boys have already arrived to claim spots for themselves, but the girls are still gradually filing back in after changing back into their gym uniforms. Ryumi walks up to Iida and Ochaco in the front row. "Hey guys. Saving that spot for Midoriya?"

Iida nods to the spot on his right, between himself and Tokoyami. "Of course."

Ryumi keeps walking and settles into a seat just past them on Ochaco's left. "No hard feelings about the cavalry battle, right?" She smiles at the three of them. "That was an impressive effort near the end. I wasn't expecting anyone but maybe Bakugo to be able to pull that off..."

From the far edge of the seating area, Bakugo glares toward her at hearing his name mentioned.

The dragon girl looks around the reserved seating for their class as Yaoyorozu takes a spot next to her. Todoroki must be in the prep room already. Sero's not here either.

"Alright, audience! Let's cut to the good stuff and not delay these finals any longer! Welcome our first fighters." The screens show pictures of both competitors as Mic introduces them. "Whoa, he looks kinda scared in that picture, doesn't he? It's Izuku Midoriya, from the hero course!" He holds for cheers, and the audience obliges.

Midoriya walks out to the platform, cracks his knuckles and stretches. Though his face is mostly determined, there's a faint hint of worry in his smile.

In 1-A's section, Ochaco and Iida join in the cheers enthusiastically, and several others make polite efforts, but most (including Ryumi) just quietly applaud. Ojiro shifts worriedly in his seat, and Bakugo glares impatiently.

"Versus! ...Sorry, but this guy hasn't really done anything to stand out yet! It's Hitoshi Shinso, from general studies!" Mic pauses again for cheers, but this round is a little less loud.

Shinso walks out casually, rubbing the back of his neck.

"The rules are simple! Win by knocking your opponent out of the ring, immobilizing them, or getting them to say 'I give up'! Bring the pain and injuries, because we've got our very own good old Recovery Girl waiting on standby! So put your morals aside and don't be afraid to fight dirty if you must! 'Ethics' have no meaning here!" Mic explains. "Well, of course, going for the kill is a no-no! You'll be disqualified! Real heroes use their power to throw villains in jail, not kill them!"

Cementoss sits opposite Midnight's stage, forming a chair of concrete as he does. "I'll stop anyone who tries to get too rough."

The crowd erupts in fresh cheers as the two combatants stare each other down.

Mic leans forward, almost pressing against the glass of the announcer's box window. "Now let's get this thing started! Readyyyyyyyyy? Begin!"

Despite the booming call to action, nobody moves at first. They're just talking, staying stock still at their opening positions. And then something changes, and Midoriya starts to look angry.