Chapter 4 • Suspicions

The ride home made UN anticipated more and more. A desperation to see his pet again filled him to the brim. Had the meeting been held in a different country, he'd of been anxious to death about it. He stared out the window, staring at the people he passed by to distract his overbearing thoughts. So many people walking by or doing their own business. Even homeless people were busy keeping themselves occupied...
The moment he saw the door to his house, he nearly sprinted towards it and forced the handle to open as quick as he was.

The beaming rays of the clear sky illuminated the dim, hollow entrance to UN's home. It was the greeting he preferred. Without second thought, he scowered around the house, calling out "Snowball" or "kitty" every few seconds. Just as he began to believe that his cat may have scowered out to the streets and would return shortly, a angry hiss cried out from the garden. UN knew very well that the hiss belonged to the voice of Snowball.

Staring out to the large garden – bare and filled with nothing but dirt and grass – he saw his own cat attempting to scramble from another. Snowball, once in pretty whites, had been roughed up in muddy browns from a bigger, hellish grey cat fileld with similar stains. UN waited no further and lunged at it. He grabbed the other cat by the collar and firmly bruised it against the ground. Meanwhile, his hand and wrist was being scratched to oblivion. But he didn't care. Once Snowball found the opportunity, she nestled her own fangs and claws at her fellow feline's neck. A killing blow (nearly). But, unlike his pet, UN wasn't done. When the other cat let out a stray breath as it's body faultered to move, he held it further into the ground until... An audible cracking was heard from it's body.

UN had the body tossed into his other work room for the time being. It's body was hidden in a corner, behind the desk. It's collar clinged against the floorboards.

When he returned, he made sure to give all praise to his own kitty: giving it food, head scratches, and had it cleaned and inspected to make sure no injuries had been given. Once his own pet had been checked out, only then did UN sort himself out.

In the bathroom, no light was able to enter. The window was far too blurred to let enough in and the curtain stopped any attempt. The little ceiling light was so dim it couldn't even be considered a light. The water spilled out from the tap which reflected the items strung out on the shelf above it: soap, body wash, hair wash, blush, concealer and whatever else could make someone look lively.

Small droplets of blood still oozed from UN's hand. But, the image of the animal that had attacked him lying still made it all the more worth it. The water rinsed the excess off, leaving behind a few hefty, fresh scars all around the wrist. Ignoring it for now, UN used both hands to baptize his face in the water. Various artificial colours washed off and drained out with the water. Slowly, UN found himself staring back into his dulled out and paled colours from the mirror. It looked as if it could fade away further. With a heavy sigh, his halo – which was the only thing providing good lighting in the room – dimmed too. It was too much energy to make it appear bright.

Returning from such a miserable room, he wasted no time to search for his companion. But, alas, he'd have to wait for that. Snowball had run off into one of the upstairs rooms and made herself comfortable in his bed. Meanwhile, the door knocked and had UN ceasing his search. Generally, people rarely knocked at his door – he lived out of the way of everything in the city. Whoever it was had gone out of their way to come here.

The door was creaked open and UN peaked his eyes out to notice a much shorter man he recognised all too well. The shorter, with a not so cheery expression, waved as kindly as he could.
"Germany?" UN eeked out in surprise, his halo brightening up, "what brings you here?"
He stepped out, making sure the door was only opened by a slither. Germany, with his little hands cupped together, had his head turned up like a begging dog.
"I– I just thought I could visit you..?" He hadn't even thought of a well enough excuse.
"Really? Why?" UN titled his head.
The sun (just hours from setting) reflected his dull colours and paled them further with white light.
"To catch up– ja! We haven't spoken in some time, so I thought it'd be nice–" he shrugged, his hands still kept together "–to visit you."