Chapter 2 • Don't give chocolate to dogs.

((this is really dark. So I guess warning for this chapter? I don't really use warnings but I felt this might provoke one))

---

Bagel has only been in the care of UN for a day and he already hated his decision. She had already knocked over a vase and attempted to enter his other work room. If he was to care for this dog any longer, then rules must be put in place. Rules that would be enforced through UN's own means.

From the fridge, he took out a single bar of plain chocolate. It was the kind that could be broken up into plentyful squares and look like dog treats. He snapped off two pieces.

He entered the living to see his poor kitty hissing in fear at the disgusting dog. Snowball had clambered on top of the few shelves on the walls, being as delicate as possible to not knock anything down. She cried out in plentyful meows to her owner. All the while, Bagel sat on the floor, her tongue out, drooling over the carpet. UN knelt down, calling out a forced, chirpy voice,
"C'mer Bagel!" He held his hand out, the chocolate beginning to melt in his palms.

Without much thought, the young dog scooted herself over, not waiting for a single command before sinking her gob into the treat. She ate it without much complain. UN then stood himself up, keeping the hand that had been locked clean by the dog far from himself. He walked to the back door and used his other hand open it. Bagel saw the perfectly clean garden and shot herself outside to enjoy the sun above her. At that instance, UN shut the door and washed his hands. The cat flap was far too small for Bagel to use.

In the time since he had let the dog out into the garden, UN had washes his hands and had began to relax in the living room. His precious kitty had found comfort in the lack of dog and had made herself comfortable by sitting next to her owner. She purred at every ear scratch, head pat, and stroke she received.

In the distance, from the window which overlooked the garden, a horrific gagging could be heard. A horrible, disgusting gagging followed by whimpering and a throwing up. It splattered against the grass, soaking into the dirt beneath. Poor Bagel scratched at the door.

UN figured that Bagel would be just fine. And if anything did happen, he could very easily play it off as an accident. He already imagined exactly what he'd say to America:
'I didn't mean to! It was accident! She thought the chocolate was dog treats! I'm so very sorry!'
That's what he'd cry out with. And he knew that America (and anyone else) would believe him.

~~~

It's been two days since Bagel had been in the care of UN. The night had come and gone quietly. By early morning, UN prepared for the day: washing, dressing, eating and feeding his precious feline. And all to the tune of upsetting whines from the dog who had been left out in the garden since yesterday. He waited until Snowball decided to venture out into the streets for a daily prowl before even opening the back door. By then, it was already well into mid-day.

Bagel reared her head up, her whole body laying against the ground right by the door. As her beady eyes stared at the angelic figure, her tail – with a lack of energy – wagged a the sight. Steadily, she stood up and raised her paws up to UN's knees. There was still a begging whine coming from her tired voice. UN said absolutely nothing. Without a second thought, he pushed the dog aside onto the ground. He continued to do this until Bagel gave up on jumping up for affection.

UN knew he couldn't just kill the dog. It was America's afterall. Sure, the dog could be injured or get ill; that was explainable. But Bagel dying? How could he explain that? How could he even get people to forgive him for that?! So, with an empty heart and begrudging hand, he gave Bagel some scraps of meat from the fridge. He had been given dog food, but did Bagel deserve it?

The day continued as normal. UN spent most his time in either one of the work rooms. The door was kept shut to keep Bagel from entering. All he wanted was peace and quiet to himself. But Bagel was a social animal. She, just like her owner, craved attention and all the care in the world! So, she sat right outside either door and howled in a cry. It rang in UN's ears with a sharp piercing.

This continued for minutes on end. Perhaps he could just wait it out. At least an hour had passed and Bagel wouldn't let up. UN got out from his chair, neatly folding some paperwork away. His mind layed blank in preparation for what he planned to do.

The door, to Bagel's excitement, swung open. She, forgetting what happend during the morning, jumped up and lifted her paws up to UN's knees.

She winced in a heavy cry as UN struck her against the head with his bare fist.

Bagel very quickly learnt that she'd have to keep to herself in this household.

~~~

By night, Bagel had cornered herself in the living room. She was keeping her cries and low as possible. Her poor voice went still as the angelic figure walked through the living room. Only her breath and his footsteps were heard. UN passed by the dog, entering the kitchen. When he emerged, he knelt down just a few metres away from the young dog. He held his hand out, and in an imitated, sweet–sombre voice, spoke softly:
"C'mer Bagel!"

Bagel didn't move an inch.

"Bagel, c'mer!" UN repeated, letting his lips curv into a cute smile.

Bagel's eyes blinked twice as she slowly raised her body. She shook her fur coat and, with the comforting voice, found the energy to trust and trot over to UN in confidence. In his hand was a three, small squares. It looked like dog treats. She picked them up and swallowed in enjoyment. Right after, the door was opened up. The outside garden, with it's fresh air, called to her for just a moment. It was enough to make her leap out, having not gone on a single walk yet, regardless of how dark out it was. The door slam shut. She jumped up and winced out loud. Once again, Bagel found herself scratching against the door.

~~~

The third day. America would be coming over to take back his dog. He had not a single clue what hell she had endured. Once he arrived at the door, he knocked enthusiastically. He was nearly jumping on his heels to see us dog once more. Not once had he ever left Bagel for this long!

UN answered the door an the two gave their greetings. As they both spoke, America immediately stopped to converse with his pet. Bagel had rushed up to America, crying continuously.
"Oh, Bagel! It's alright, I'm here!" America rubbed his hands against his dog's fur, a heightened fear struck him at Bagel's cries.

"What happened?" He asked UN in sudden, serious tone.

UN kept still, remaining in a lackluster posture,
"She had been crying ever since you left. I think she just missed you," he explained.

America believed it.

He gave more pets to his beloved dog and wished UN a farewell and a good thanks. He left shortly after with Bagel, not suspecting a single thing.