Chapter 9: The Dark One

"Grab him and let's go"

Rumplestilskin sat on a stone, creating his own face paint. As he applied it, he heard a voice from behind him.

"You've always felt more comfortable behind a mask."

He stares blankly ahead as a woman appears beside him, "you were the only one who could ever see past it." The woman, Belle, huffs a small smile.

"Past the mask of the monster."

She reaches over to hold his hand, "then why put it back on now?"

"I need the monster,Belle. It's the only way I can save him and that's what I've decided. I'm going to save Henry."

"The prophecy states that Henry will be your undoing." She reminds him, "to save him will ensure your own death."

He gives her a blank look in return, "you don't think I can do it?"

"I think your intentions are good. But a life time of craven self-interest is a nasty habit." Rumplestilskin let's go of her hand, "that you've never been able to break." She finishes her sentence with conviction

Rumple whispers somewhat to himself, "things are different now."

"How? What's different?"

"Because I have nothing to live for.."

"What about me?" Belle chuckles, grabbing onto his other hand.

" your not real." He finally looks over towards the woman, "just a vision"

She shakes her head with a smile once more, "b-but I'm back at Storybrook, waiting for you"

He leans closer, "you shouldn't be. When I said goodbye to you,Belle, we both knew it was for good."

As He stands up, she rushes to continue their talk, "well maybe I think you'll come back!"

"Even if I did, eventually, you'd leave me because you can see me for what I really am. You think you see a good man, but in time, you'd see the monster. My son. Is.dead. The only way I can redeem myself if by saving his son and giving my life."

———————————————————————————

"This is where their keeping Henry, Pans Compound. According to..."

"-Tinker bell"

"Yea, I know. Just still weird to say"

"Think is fine."

The hero's were gathered around a small fire, along with Tinker bell who was their to help them save Henry.

"Not sure that's any better.. anyways, she says there are sentries positioned across the front." Emma points her stick at the miniature version of Pans Compound, showing the locations she is talking about, "which, is why we're gonna come in through the back entrance. Here. She's gonna talk her way in and makes sure the coast is clear. Then we're going to sneak on in."