12. Bittersweet

It had been a week since the Yule Ball

It had been a week since the Yule Ball. A week since Cedric told me that we needed to, quote on quote, 'put some distance between us'. I had spent the majority of the past week in my room, reading muggle books that spoke of true love and happy endings. Class was starting back today, so I knew I needed to get myself together. Natalie glanced at me warily as she started applying her makeup. I had clued her in on everything, and she had offered me a shoulder to cry on which I was more than grateful to accept.

"You need to start getting ready," she said to me. "You can't let him get to you like this. He asked for space, so give it to him. But show him that you're just fine without him."

My shoulders slumped forward in defeat. I sucked in a harsh breath, fighting against a wave of emotion when my eyes landed on my Christmas present from Cedric-A charm bracelet with two charms, a badger and a golden snitch. "But I'm not fine, Nat," I admitted.

She spun around on her heels, giving me a stern, no-nonsense stare. "I know that. But he doesn't need to know that, Elliana. You catch my drift?"

I pulled my lower lip between my teeth and shook my head. "Not really."

She frowned, placing her hands on her hips. "You have to fake it till you make it. Don't you dare let him think that you're a mess over him."

She sauntered towards me, taking my hands and forcing me to my feet. I didn't object as she led me to the mirror and peered over my shoulder.

"We are going to get you all dolled up and you are going to have an amazing day. You are not going to shed a single tear over your supposed 'best friend'. Got it?"

I inhaled a shaky breath before nodding. The determination in her voice alerted me to the fact that there was no sense in disagreeing with her. "Got it."

***

||Cedric's P.O.V.||

Guilt coursed through me as I studied the picture collage that Elliana had given me for Christmas. Half of the photographs were enchanted- Showcasing me and my friends during various moments. The rest were 'muggle photos'- The kind that simply captured a moment in time. A still photograph. My eyes drifted to a still photograph of me and Elliana. She was looking up at me with a small smile while I stared directly at the camera. I remember being quite curious about the device.

I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed the pair of gloves that Elliana had also gifted me for Christmas. They were yellow and brown- our house colors, and they were enchanted with a warming charm. I clutched at the note that she had written to go along with it.

It read: 'You know what they say- Cold hands, warm heart. But I figured your hands could be just as warm ♡'.

A lump formed in my throat as I reread the note for the umpteenth time within the past week. I hadn't spoken with her since telling her that we needed to put some distance between us. Had I done the right thing?