02. Life Line

“–And then, he puked everywhere! Chunks went flying!” George laughed before shoving some cereal into his mouth.

I cringed at the vivid image. “That’s so gross. You shouldn’t have given a first year Puking Pastilles.”

They both chuckled. “Hey, it got him out of classes. Win, win.”

I shook my head, grinning at my friends. “You two are something else.”

My eyes subconsciously drifted in Cedric’s direction. Cho was nestled against his side, sipping on orange juice. The past few meals I had chosen to sit with the twins at the Gryffindor table. Things were awkward between me and Cedric right now. I figured some space from him would do me some good. It’s not that I was necessarily avoiding him— I was… simply choosing not to be in the same place as him. I had his schedule memorized, so it was easy for me to find ways around him; aside from sharing classes with him anyway. Okay, so maybe I was avoiding him.

“So, Elle. Are you excited for your little date this weekend?” Fred asked, smirking as he brought his milk carton to his lips.

My cheeks immediately heated up. My eyes scanned our table before they landed on Trevor Lockhart. His deep blue eyes locked with mine and he winked, causing my blushing to intensify. I smiled at him sheepishly before averting my gaze. Fred and George both gave me a smug smile, having watched the awkward exchange. I nibbled on a piece of toast and nodded, trying to collect my thoughts.

“Um, yeah. I am. But I’m more nervous than anything,” I admitted.

They nodded in understanding.

“That’s perfectly normal,” George said as he patted my shoulder.

“I don’t know what to expect. I mean, how am I even supposed to act? What if I say the wrong thing? What if I can’t even think of anything to say? What if—”

George cut me off mid-sentence. “Just be yourself, Ellie. Relax and be yourself. Everything will fall into place.”

I found myself nodding. “Yeah, you’re right…” I trailed off before feeling another wave of anxiety wash over. “But what if he doesn’t like me?”

“What if you don’t like him?” Fred challenged with raised brows.

My mouth fell open. “Oh, Merlin. You’re right. What if I don’t like him and then I’m stuck on a date that I don’t even want to be on? I didn’t think of that. Is it getting hot in here? It feels really hot in here.” I started fanning my face with my hand.

They pressed their lips together before they burst out laughing, earning a perplexed expression from me.

“Chill, Elle. You’re getting yourself worked up over nothing,” Fred told me after their laughing fit was over.